DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   HELP!!!! 3rd Brake light stays on (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/215401-help-3rd-brake-light-stays-on.html)

wermbang 09-25-2009 09:27 PM

HELP!!!! 3rd Brake light stays on

The outside two bulbs on the 3rd brake light stay on. I noticed it this afternoon when I got home. The only thing I have done recently is put in an aftermarket cd player. I am going outside now to unhook the whole thing, I pulled the fuse for brake lights, and they stayed on.

I pushed the brake pedal and the middle two bulbs come on also then go off, but the outside two stay on.
I also can't find my meter at the moment to test anything:(

Any help is greatly appreciated.

lastrights 09-25-2009 09:35 PM

turn the knob down

Miami_Son 09-25-2009 09:43 PM

No offense, but this is as clueless as it gets. The outside bulbs are your cargo lights. They are controlled by the dimmer switch in the cab. Depending on year (fill out your profile info) it is either a knob or a thumbwheel. Turn it down and they'll go off.:icon_doh:

wermbang 09-26-2009 03:28 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, since I am apparently so clueless, but if it were the dimmer switch wouldn't my interior lights stay on too?

I had already checked that first, thinking I bumped it, still on.

Miami_Son 09-26-2009 02:48 PM

Yes, the dome light comes on first, then the cargo light. Don't get all defensive. If you look at your original post, you clearly did not state that it was the cargo lights that were on. You believed they were the brake lights, so much so that you even pulled the fuse for the brake lights.

Does the dome light go off with the switch? If so, I hesitate to blame the switch, but it's possible. The only other thing is a short somewhere with another always-on power supply wire. Try removing the switch. If after disconnecting it the light is off, then that would eliminate a short and a new switch is in order.

Nice sig, BTW.

notanexit7 09-27-2009 09:56 AM

hmm, my cargo lights don't even come on anymore when I push that little push wheel up. bulbs and switch are new too. also the bulb on the left of the brake light keeps burning out after I put a new one in. I wonder why?

wermbang 09-28-2009 12:46 PM

My bad Miami, I wasn't in the greatest mood that evening. Thanks for the advice.

I unplugged the switch, still on, any suggestions on places to look to see where its getting power from? Wiring diagram?

Miami_Son 09-28-2009 12:59 PM

I would remove fuses one by one until the light goes off. That would at least indicate what circuit is supplying power to the light that shouldn't be and possibly give you an idea of where to look. The wiring diagrams in the Chilton manual I have suck, but if I come up with something I'll let you know.

zman17 09-28-2009 01:00 PM

You could try pulling fuses one by one,that's a start anyway.

wermbang 09-28-2009 01:57 PM

Thanks will hopefully check tonight. My wife has school so I have to watch the kids so we will see if I can. Plus I have an interview tomorrow so I need to prepare for that.

Edit: At least I ruled out 1 fuse already:icon_doh: