2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core

This has to have been answered 100's of times (my apologies) but I kept coming up blank with the search...maybe it's broken?

Any how poor cab heating. When I rev up to 1800-2000 rpms I can hear a gurgle in my heater core. Is this a bad or going bad core or just an air bubble? Any clues how to fix it??

Thanks much

Brian

Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your right. It has been answered alot and I'll answer it this time but next time use the search function before you ask. You have air in your system. Park your truck on an incline and open your rad cap. Turn your truck on and the heater full blast and wait for the stat to open. Then, just fill the rad with the coolant it's missing. Do it until it no longer burps.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Flue
Veteran

Thanks, that's what I thought, and I'm sure I've read it before and on here, but that was in May. But as I said I don't think the search function is working. I've done the advanced search for every possible term, radiator, coolant, heater, heat, core, air bubble etc. I do tend to not ask the same questions that have already been answered. Ain't no noob. But when you do a search for "heater core" and get a result of Key stuck in ignition, something just ain't right. Ya know?

But thanks again for the confirmation.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flue
Thanks, that's what I thought, and I'm sure I've read it before and on here, but that was in May. But as I said I don't think the search function is working. I've done the advanced search for every possible term, radiator, coolant, heater, heat, core, air bubble etc. I do tend to not ask the same questions that have already been answered. Ain't no noob. But when you do a search for "heater core" and get a result of Key stuck in ignition, something just ain't right. Ya know?

But thanks again for the confirmation.
funny I've had the same problems lately seems to bring up totally random unrelated stuff and no info on threads I know exist.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the search function is screwed up again and not working, so it would be good to ease off the criticism some. yes as said above ^, the gurgling sound indicates air trapped in the heater core, which is about equal to, or maybe even slightly higher than the top of the radiator. if you get a lot of air in there, it'll air lock it completely.

it can also be beneficial to backflush the heater core both ways with the water hose to force out any rust or scale or crap that might be stopping it up. be gentle with the removal of the heater hoses not to break the heater pipes. sometimes if the hoses are really old and hard and stuck onto the pipes, its easier just to cut the hoses out in the middle of the engine bay and re-splice them.

if you ever get rid of the gurgling/whoosing and it keeps coming back, then it indicates an air sucking leak.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 PM
J415
Champion

Well, I'll be damned!!! I just tried the search (NON) function and it doesn't work. Who's in charge of fixing or maintaining that? is there a site manager who can fix that? if not, I see a lot of the same questions being asked...My bad Flue!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Flue
Veteran

OK, I finally got around to fixing this thing. After all it's starting to get cold up here in da nort...kind of.

Drained and flushed entire system. Found some ramps and lifted the front end almost 10 inches, removed the heater hose splice and replaced with a t-junction splice. Refilled system, ran truck, let cool, topped off. Ran truck again. Still no heat. Supported T-junction as high as the hose would let me, closed off (clamped) pump side of hose, removed return hose from water pump, lifted hose end up so I wouldn't drain the heater core again. Filled heater core via the T-junction until return hose started to overflow. Closed T-junction, reconnected hose to pump, released clamp. Ran truck. I now have pretty good heat. I've still got a very small gurgle, but not as bad as it was. Will keep an eye on it and see how it handles the winter.

Next time the internal search is "messed" up I'll use Google since after my last post I used google and found the post I was looking for on this site.

Thanks for putting up with me....

Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the gurgle gets worse and you can't find any leaks and if your windshield isn't fogging up really bad then you might have a bad radiator cap.
a bad cap will let air into the system.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 PM
J415
Champion

Hey flue, when you burped the cooling system, did you turn the heater on full blast? Your suppose to. Also, let your truck run for a while so the t stat has time to open and release any air bubbles. hope that helped.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
Hey flue, when you burped the cooling system, did you turn the heater on full blast? Your suppose to. Also, let your truck run for a while so the t stat has time to open and release any air bubbles. hope that helped.
+1

not doing this can create air pockets

Quick Reply: Heater Core