2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loss of oil pressure on rebuilt 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest a melling oil pump.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM
moparama
Veteran

so after researching and calling around my napa pump is a sealed power which from my understanding is economically junk. so i ordered a mellings and a new p/u for it and going to give it a shot this weekend. i hope this cures my pressure prob or else i think engine is coming out and getting the biggest drop kick off my cherry picker LOL

Old 10-22-2009, 07:45 PM
moparama
Veteran

so the new filter and melling pump didnt do the trick. i lose the pressure after 30secs still but if i hit throttle it comes back then goes to zero again. i am getting some lifter noise aswell. could they be junk? i put them back together same as they were but did that harm them? i dont know anyone with more ideas?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I would say the next step would be install a mechanical oil gauge to know for sure you do or don't have oil pressure before you tear into the engine any further.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:01 AM
moparama
Veteran

here is some more info.....i had the machine shop do the crank and connecting rods and ordered the bearings for me. when i put together i did plastigauge the mains but not the c-rods cuz i ran out of platigauge stuff. i did notice vertical play in the c-rods but thought nothing of it considering the did the machine work and measured the journals and rods so they should have ordered the right bearings. i didnt think i should be able to feel that play but.....im thinking they gave me the wrong ones and im losing my pressure there. which after it warms up for a bit oil thins out and wahlah my pressure drops unless i throttle it some get pump moving to get oil moving more. sound logical? if so i will be pissed!!!! not that i cant do the job by dropping pan AGAIN but i would not want to mhave to do that. i knew i should have went and got some more platigauge material. F***!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Do you remember what the oil clearance was? Should have been less or equal to 0.003" IIRC. There should be a tiny bit of forward and back movement along the crank journal but should have no vertical movement or side to side at all.

You said the guy spun the crank, I wonder if he changed it enough that you should be running oversized bearing like 0.010" or more and he gave you standard bearings and thats why you have some play in the c-rods.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 AM
moparama
Veteran

he gave me .010 but i think i needed the .020 cuz i can feel the up and down play at the c-rod and crank very distinctively. SOB i am pissed down comes the pan again more oil more money when does it end!!! well the machine shop can pay for the oil and what not he said he would take care of me on the gasket and that stuff so.... i guess i know what im doing on my dodge today LOL

Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Get yourself another set of plastic gauges and check the clearances too.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 PM
moparama
Veteran

Finally figured out my oil pressure prob. And just my luck. I talked to my machinist that did my block work the c-rod bearings he sold me were mislabeled on the bearing themselves. and he had done the crank and c-rod turning and did all the measurements so i never paid any mind to them when i put it together. so today i ripped it apart in the truck and gauged them and sure n s*** they are not right size so as soon as i get new ones of the right size which i need .020 i will have my oil psi.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 AM
moparama
Veteran

so i put in my new (correct size .020) rod bearings yesterday and low and behold i got a steady 61psi of oil pressure now. WOO HOO finally got her roaring like the ram she is and should be.

Quick Reply: loss of oil pressure on rebuilt 5.2