2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Reputation

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009 | 03:38 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

is it difficult to wire in a tranny temp guage?

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:09 AM
elementalnature
Professional

Nope. And if you have a 97 with a 360, it should have a temp gauge already for the transmission. Mine does. But... mine only says, hey temperatures high, somethings wrong. It has no actual readout... its a light that says temp gauge on the A/C-Heater Controls.

To wire it basically put a temp probe in the pan by either drilling and tapping for one or the Mag-Hytec will already have that.

Once the probe is in run the wire from the probe along the frame and into the cab through an existing grommet. If its a stepper motor gauge, like most are I believe... run 12 volts to the gauge for power and there you go.

Old 10-21-2009 | 07:01 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i have that tranny temp guage in the heater controls. now i wouldnt be able to wire it to that? (splice into it) since it does tell the temp. or do i really HAVE to drill

Old 10-21-2009 | 07:45 AM
utahjd1
Rookie

Has anyone ever used the viper Transmission?
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm
Are they any good?

Old 10-21-2009 | 08:48 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by ItsAzonik
i don't tow all the time but i have a 14' pop up camper that i use and about once a month im towing a new car home. with my first ram the only reason i didn't get rid of it after 1 tranny was because it was all under warranty. dodge replaced them every time. i drive in a lot of areas where there are tons of stop lights and stop signs and damn old people on the road (thats florida for you) so its hard to have a manual in anything i drive.

I know i want to be able to tow and drive normally i just don't want to deal with tranny issues any more. i just have to find a good tranny shop here in st pete and see what their reviews are by other people around here. i only know how to build ford transmissions, too many drag ready mustangs, had to learn after a while
mr transmission, it's where my buddy got his tranny rebuilt for his truck, (one on 49th), nice to see someone else in st.pete o/

Old 10-21-2009 | 11:13 AM
ItsAzonik
|

Thanks for all your advise. Im not going to be doing any mudding in this truck, thats what the land rover is for. i only take it on the trails. this truck is going to be my useful truck, not just a pain in my *** that sits in the back yard

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:15 PM
aliasmax

The most important thing to do on the dodge tranny is flush the tranny at least every 30,000 miles. Got 101,000 miles on my 2001 360cid without any trans problems.

Old 10-21-2009 | 04:12 PM
elementalnature
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i have that tranny temp guage in the heater controls. now i wouldnt be able to wire it to that? (splice into it) since it does tell the temp. or do i really HAVE to drill
Actually that is a good question. Given that there is a gauge already in the cab... it makes me think that there is already a probe and you wouldn't have to add one in. If you could splice off of the probe already there, you would just have to wire in the gauge with the actual readouts.

Can someone confirm what exactly ignites the tranny temp gauge in the heater controls?

Quick Reply: Transmission Reputation