2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roaring noise coming from somewhere!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonRacer
I've got same truck same noise. i only hhere it when i let off the gas though. when i had my tranny rebuilt(unrelated incident) the mechanic said he heard it during test drive and believed it to be rear diff
yep thats what I have...when you let off the gas....I suspected it was a shoddy job putting in the 4.56 gears that caused my issues...checked my fliud a few days ago and found it was loaded with metallic......figures.....gonna be a pricy fix for me being I cant just swap with junkyard with because of the gears.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 10-28-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:02 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cwdxd4
Well if it is in the rear end, do you think it will lock up or something anytime soon? It's been doing it for at least 10k miles and hasn't seemed to change all that much.
generally the noise from a bad pinion bearing will change pitch on acceleration vs decel. also, when drive shaft is disconnected, if you can rotate the yoke back and forth, it'll have a dry, loose, noisy feel to it.
if its not pinion then it could be carrier bearings or worn out ring/pinion.

you might put it up on stands and use a stethoscope or pipe to listen to different places on the case to try and pin down the noise. i tried that awhile back on my daughters 4runner and just couldn't tell anything. the noise was echoing up and down the drive shaft so bad. also be careful, i about tore off a leg on a tire.

unlikely it will break. it could run another 100k without any further problem other than increased noise. if you haven't already done so, remove the cover, look it over and put in 90w140 synthetic gear oil. the heavier oil might quieten it down a little. don't expect miracles.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pinion bearings wore out on my at 110K. It felt like it had turbo lack when I would gas it. That is, when I would hit the gas, it would take a while to respond. when my mechanic fixed it, (a good friend of mine) he said that I was lucky that it didn't lock up on my when I was driving.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
rammy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
My pinion bearings wore out on my at 110K. It felt like it had turbo lack when I would gas it. That is, when I would hit the gas, it would take a while to respond. when my mechanic fixed it, (a good friend of mine) he said that I was lucky that it didn't lock up on my when I was driving.
just curious as i believe im having the same problem or mabye worse?about 99.5% of the time when i go from a stop and give it a little gas it goes to about 1500rpm and am barely rolling.keeping in mind when i bought the truck it had 280,000 at first i thought it was the tranny but i had it checked out and its fine but i did find out that the guy i bought the truck from never changed any of the fluids since

Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
J415
Champion

When I would hit the gas, it would hold up for a sec and then go. It wasn't an aggressive launch. The stealership said it was the WHOLE diff. they wanted to charge me $1500. Such bull.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 AM
rammy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol stealership they wanted$ 2000 here in alberta to fix mine and i cant even find a used rear diff for under 1200

Old 10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by rammy
lol stealership they wanted$ 2000 here in alberta to fix mine and i cant even find a used rear diff for under 1200
DAMN!!! I guess I got off REAL lucky. There's a bone yard over here that has a half off sale every month. I found out about it by word of mouth since they don't advertise. I'd suggest that you do the same. You never know whats out there. Best of luck!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well I pulled apart the rear diff today and the gears look great..... did find pieces of a washer or flat clip stuck to the magnet though..( i will have to investigate further)..I refilled the diff with the heavy lucas gear oil and it made absolutly no change in noise tone at all.....

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 10-30-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ahhh. you have a limited slip ?

be sure and add the little bottle of friction modifier to the oil, or it might chatter.

lsd's tend to drop broken clips from the clutches. they all do it.

Quick Reply: Roaring noise coming from somewhere!