2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

strange noises and low power

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
townsley4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noises and low power

There is this grinding noise somewhere in the front end that seems to happen between 0-20 mph whenevr the truck has been drivin for a while. It doese it when I'm accelerating or coasting. Its a weird noise hard to explain. It does it weather I turn or goin strait also. Its hard to tell where its comin from but it sounds like behind the steering wheel maybe. It doesn't do it when stopped though. Also, there seems to be what sounds like a air leak or something in the front left side. You can hear an air sound whenever u rev it just a little bit. Or when I'm accelerating. It sounds like maybe a vaccum leak maybe. As for the low power..it seems like it takes longer than what it should to accelerate and get up to speed. It has a ver slow throttle response...seems like the pedal has to be pushed about 3/4 of the way to get up to speed. Anyway I don't think its a clogged cat. There is some pretty significant flow of exhaust out of both pipes. I'm just curious if the sounds I'm hearin has anything to do with it. Sorry if it doesn't show my sig. I'm on my phone..but its a 01 1500 5.2l.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

check the plenum gasket by looking down into the TB, and look for oil that would cause the loss of power

and as for the grinding noise...these trucks tend to get bad axle seals, so your fluid might be out...id check the front diff fluid. and alsothe power steering fluid for goodmeasure in case its the gearbox

Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
townsley4
Veteran

Hey thanks for the reply..I had both axle seals replaced about 2 months ago because they we're leaking. And I also replaced the steering gear and hoses. It made the noise before I replaced it also. Its a weird noise..its not constant..but almost constant. Sounds like in or behind the dash. Its a sqeelin/squirrling noise.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

if its behind the dash, you might hear the intake swirling aroun the oil...take off the throttle body all together so you can get a good look into the intake. i always looked into through the TB down in and never saw oil. When itook the TB off, i found the oil, and my plenum was gone. i changed it, and i have amazing power now.

and check all the vaccums to the intake and make sure they arent cracked, or any disconnected

Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
townsley4
Veteran

Yea I've read a lot about the penums. Never messed with them before. How expensive is it to replace? Does it take a while? I havnt a had chance to look, but if needed, what do I clean the tb with? Thanks

Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 AM
townsley4
Veteran

I still havnt quite figured out what this airy sound is when I accelerate. Its definatly coming from behind or in the dash somewhere. Its not the heater/ac. Anyway..I'm stumped to as to what the squirrling,grinding noise is when the truck has been drivin for about 40 minutes.it almost sounds like the same noise whenever I put my truck in reverse..there is a destinct grinding sound. Its done that ever since I had the truck. No one seems to know what it is.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

to do the plenum get this. you wont have to worry about the plenum again and she'll add some good ratings

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...2&partid=22220

Quick Reply: strange noises and low power