2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'98 1500 Auto Trans Problems, PLEASE Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM
duckhtn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 1500 Auto Trans Problems, PLEASE Help

I have a '98 1500 4x4 Quad Cab with the 360L and auto trans. I just lost the trans last night and not sure as to what the actual problem may be. It started when cold it would take a few seconds to get the trans fluid going to engage. It got worse the day after to start basically slipping/not engaging with low fluid in drive going down the road already. It kind of whines (same sound a power steering pump makes when low on fluid) and only got worse in about 2 miles down to nothing at all. It won't grab in ANY gear. When you shift it out of park it will kind of put a bit of strain on the engine, but not enough to engage it into gear.

Would this be the pump, torque converter, or something totally different? This does has 250k on it, but I have NEVER had any problems with this truck. My 18 year old son did however think it was a toy about a month ago and was doing power breakers and roll backs burning off my brand new tires. I have a very good idea this is why I'm now having this issue. Would like to take a 2x4 to him as I can't afford to be fixing this right now.

So if you know what the problem is or have a good idea, please share with me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
duckhtn
Rookie
Default Someone here must have some help for me - PLEASE

Come on forum, I have always got an answer to all my questions in the past, why should this be any different? PLEASE help!!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know enough info to help you...BUT....I am interested in knowing what "power breakers" and "roll backs" are. Just know I never ever do them.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

how many miles? and these trucks have weak trannys, its most likely shot, if you make it to 150K with an original tranny, thats considered good

Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 PM
duckhtn
Rookie

A "rollback" is when you go one direction and then slap into the opposite direction gear and give it hell, makes some nice black marks and smoke just rolls. A "power breaker" is when you hold down the breaks and give it hell and just sit there and smoke the tires in one place or let up a bit and make black marks and smoke as far as you want to.

When I was a kid back in the '70's we would do this, but that was when vehicles were made good and strong and non destructible. Nowadays and these Dodge transmissions aren't built to take this kind of stupid kid abuse.

I really NEED a tranny now for this truck as it's still in great shape!

Quick Reply: '98 1500 Auto Trans Problems, PLEASE Help