2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Single-cab stereos

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Bubba39047
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single-cab stereos

Hey guys. i have a single (regular) cab. I am gonna be putting a new head unit in and i want to add a sub. being a regular cab space is tight behind the seat. i was wondering if those of you's with a single cab could tell me, or show me pictures, of ya'lls sub(s); providing yall have one. Also if it isn't to personal how much it cost. thanks guys. also any ideas would be nice to hear.

(FYI i have already looked into bazooka tube subs)

Old 10-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gah! Bazooka tubes? Blarf!

I, as you know, have a single cab.

My list:

4 6X9 Infinity Kappa Perfects
2 6 1/2 Infinity Kappas
2 10" Eclipse woofers
1 Kenwood 1000W amp- Woofer
1 Eclipse 800W amp- for wall speakers

The two 6 1/2 infinity wall speakers are powered by my H/U until I can pick another amp up for them.

Now, as to how much that ran me? Way too much. I admit. The woofers were about $200 a piece, the boxes were about $90 a piece, the Kenwood amp is $150, the Eclipse amp was about $200, the 6x9's ran me $110.00 a set, the 6 1/2s were $80 (special. ) The head unit at the time was $350.00

So that adds up to about $1,800 by the time you figure in tax and wiring supplies.

Don't freak out though. I built mine over a period of 4 years. One piece at a time.

Now, in order to fit the subs behind the seats, I took the storage trays out. I didn't use them just for the simple fact that I have a tool box in the bed of my truck.

A lot of what you need/want depends on your ears.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Dr Donut
Veteran

3 words: Down firing box. Taper the box as it goes up raise it off the floor 1.5 inches for excursion(check the sub, for some higher end models it may be more, this will also make them louder(not that they need to be in a single cab) due to hitting a harder surface and if you really max em out (or run cheap ones) this covers alot of the physical noise of the sub moving making for a much nice sound. I am currently getting ready to build a box like this more two alpine type x subs

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 AM
99redram318
Professional

I argree w laramie the bazookas are crap. there are shallow mount subs for trucks kicker's (CVT) got one and a few other big brands, but you wont get the sound like a normal sub. My buddy had 2 mtx 8500's behind his seats in home made boxes, you couldnt lean back all the way but it pounded. It all really depends on what you want, and the sound level your looking to achieve.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 AM
4x4bills

In mine I have the stock infinity speakers

JBL Amp

Sony HU (I know Sony Blah but it was the only one I could afford at the moment )

And a 12" Infinity Sub. As noted before I took the junk boxes out the back, mine is on the passenger side. And it barely fits, it was quite the squeeze getting it in there. Also with mine atleast you cant fold up the center armrest. No big deal for me, but if it is for you, get a 10". The one I had previously was a Sony 10" ( again Sony... ).

And since im posting already I mine as well ask: After I installed all this(I had a friend who use to do it professionally help me install it) my rear speakers don't work anymore. I have yet to tear everything out and look at it as its a pain in the *** but any ideas on why this might be and what to look for?

Everything worked fine with the stock HU before.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:30 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i got 4 6 1/2 in. Sony Speakers
1000 Watt Sony Explode Amp
10 in. Kicker L5 with 550 RMS
Eclipse CD4000 Head unit

and i had no problems with space. my sub is only 7 in. thick at the thickest spot. so it fit perfect behind my seat, and it pounds. you cant hear yourself talk with it up little over half way

Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Bubba39047
Captain

yeah thats the thing. i dont have a toolbox on accound of the shortbed. i need all that space. so i use my tray back there. that is the perplexing part. i am willing to sacrifice a portion of it but you know.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you could look for a compact under the seat bass shaker too.... of course they wont perform as well....kicker solobaric subs are great for small enclosures in tight spaces...

btw sony does not make speakers they just put there name on someone elses for marketing purposes....I would steer clear of any of the newer cheap class expode series....its ok but it is afterall, whats given sony a bad name in the mobile electronics dept in the last few years (the only thing exploded are the performance figures)....their mobile ES line is however very good.
but if your on a budget pyramid products are the same as lanzar (which used to make a good subwoofer, I had many) just be sure to look for things like a kapton voice coil. I had some component 6.5"s that were the best value in speakers I ever had....lanzar DC series not sure if they still make them but they were crisp clean and very loud!

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 10-29-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:23 PM
hirschy
Veteran

you could also put the sub in the center seat.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1436

another member made the center seat into the sub box it starts on page 2:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ll-thread.html

Jeff

Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
1fast2liter
Captain

i run to power base components in the doors and a kicker dvc comp in a memphis audio box.......with a mobile athority amp.... was running the memphis sub for years but got a deal on the kicker....pemphis is the better sub but the kicker is louder wich isnt always better. i run 1 10 behind the pass seat....with a pioneer deck.. sounds good and does exactly what i want it too.

Quick Reply: Single-cab stereos