2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So I flushed my tranny today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
elementalnature
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I flushed my tranny today...

Well the day had been going bad to start with. I started to pull the wheels off to clean them and the bottle jack Chrysler placed in the truck sucks. I fought for thirty minutes trying to get the truck up. Finally got it up and started to pull the wheel off and the lug wrench doesn't fit the lugs because they are recessed into the wheel.

Well, I get ready to head out and pull into the alleyway to head out. There was a car blocking the way so I backed into my driveway running over my brothers basketball goal.

I didn't think anything of it until I got two streets over and realized my transmission wasn't shifting. Period.

My uncle towed me in and I realized that I have lost transmission fluid. From a big puddle in my driveway to a line that followed me two streets over.

Apparently when I ran over the goal I separated a line that goes into the transmission cooler.

I filled the transmission with six quarts of ATF+4 and drove it around. It shifted smoothly and nothing slipped.

Took it out later and the transmission started to slip some. Brought it home, threw it in neutral and put the brake on. Checked the fluid and there wasn't any on the dipstick. Put in one more quart and nothing still on the dipstick.

I suppose I lost all of the fluid in both the transmission and the cooler and I understand a full fill is 11.7 quarts.

I guess I just need to check all of the lines, the pan and such and fill it up?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you originally filled it, did you do so in neutral with engine running ? if not, then you didn't get it full. keep adding about 1/2 at a time; it takes a lot to fill it up.

sounds like might still have a leak.

sorry about all the back luck. you should have stayed in bed.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

damn that sucks. definatly go through and find that leak. dont drive it until you do. when you refill it. throw a quart of lucus transmission stop slip.

I used it because my torque convertor would engage a little late. threw a quart in. after about 200 miles driving it stopped. tranny has shifted excellent since. and that was abut 4-5K ago

Old 11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
elementalnature
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a leak... the hose running into the transmission cooler slipped off and spewed fluid everywhere.

And we filled it with the engine off, in park... originally. When I filled it tonight I did it with the transmission in neutral and running.

And for the Lucas Transmission Fix. I used it twice in my 94 Jimmy to help a work torque converter seal and it didn't help. Plus with the transmission being new I don't think I would want to add something that thick to my transmission. No offense, I would just rather add ATF+4 in there.

And yes, I should have stayed in bed.

The good news I #*(@ed that goal up. Its bent all to hades and back and nothing besides what was done to the hose is damaged. No body damage or anything. I need to run down and check the lines and pan and everything, but honestly I think everything is good I just need to fill it up.

Last edited by elementalnature; 11-01-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: So I flushed my tranny today...