2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any guesses for P1243

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:21 PM
nocturnalsst
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any guesses for P1243

P1243 Open Or Shorted Condition Detected In The Turbocharger Surge Valve Solenoid Control.

It might be a stretch, but anyone have some guesses on where to start. I'm thinking its a loose wiring condition but dont know on what sensor. It runs really rough for a minute (200rpm-1200rpm back and forth almost stalling. then the next it will act like nothing is wrong a minute later.

I'm kind of impressed that the dodge computer knew what a turbocharger was, at least enough to have an error code if one was added and it had a problem..
I know most of you are n/a, but thought maybe the symptoms might indicate something. Going to call KB after work and see if they have any ideas also..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nocturnalsst
It runs really rough for a minute (200rpm-1200rpm back and forth almost stalling. then the next it will act like nothing is wrong a minute later.

that sounds like theres a vacuum leak.

when i did the clutch in a Mits. Evo 8, (2.0 turbo, intercooler, blow off valve) and when we got it back together and started it. it did the same thing as you described. and it turned out to be one of the vaccum lines for the turbo/air intake.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
nocturnalsst
Amateur

I've had vacuum problems before and it did give very similar effects but no engine code and it wouldn't just come and go instantly but maybe it just depends on which line it is that gets pinched off. Before the problem was when the engine heated up a certain line got pinched off, but for today i had just started it up and the problem was there.

I do plan on re-doing all the lines in the future, but this may being the future much nearer.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i do believe that is where your problem lies. but that was the only work ive done to a turboed vehicle (aside from oil changes and brakes) so i may be wrong. but it seems the most logical since you said that you had a problem before like this.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
nocturnalsst
Amateur

unfortunately almost all of the vacuum and electrical lines are ran behind the sc and deep under windshield overhang/firewall

Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I think you might have gotten the wrong read on that code. When I look the code up I get "Injector Circuit Cylinder 8 Intermittent" so that would explain your rough idle. Glance over the wiring to check that it is good, but your probably looking at an injector going bad. The way to test is to move the injector to another position and see if the fault code moves with it. If the code moves with it, then the injector is bad. If it doesn't, it will be the wiring.

As far as what you said earlier here "I'm kind of impressed that the dodge computer knew what a turbocharger was, at least enough to have an error code if one was added and it had a problem.." To be honest, the computer doesn't really know it is there, but your sct tune accomodates for the SC.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 11-10-2009 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Any guesses for P1243