2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 PM
ET RAM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a quick test to rule out that it is a starter issue. Get a short 10 or 12 gauge wire and remove the engine starter relay. Note the pin number on the relay and find the socket for pin 30 and 87. Now, hold one end of the wire to the socket for pin 87 and quickly touch the socket for pin 30. Be aware that the socket for pin 30 is hot at all times. The socket for pin 87 is the circuit for the solenoid.

I bet a hamburger that the starter engages and the engine turns. With the key to ON the engine will start.

If it starts or turns over with the key OFF, that leaves the starting circuit. The starting circuit consists of the ignition switch, the engine starter relay and the NSS.

The NSS should only allow the starter to engage only in park and neutral if it is working right.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 PM
wisconsinmagnum
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine did this

didnt know what the problem was till a day ago, I have to push in on the key really hard to get it to crank. the key turns just fine without any problems, it actually turns to easy like its not hooking up.

I dont have the fix for my problem yet. I was thinking of adding a push to start button to bypass the final key turn to start.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting issue