2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak Problem in Engine Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Ripley9223
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coolant Leak Problem in Engine Compartment

Hey guys,
You all have helped me out so much previously, I am hoping that you can give me a helping hand yet again. I have been noticing that I have been losing coolant bit by bit. I have already replaced my water pump which reduced the leak a little...There are no leaks coming from the front of the engine in the water pump area now. I can see that there is a coolant trail and drip from the passengers side engine mount.. I have posted pictures to help...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Last edited by Ripley9223; 02-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those pics don't really help because they show where the coolant leak ends up, not where it originates from. They are low on the engine so I'd check all your freeze plugs. Are you sure it isn't just residual from when you changed the water pump? Hose it all down and see if it comes back.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Ripley9223
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the thing, I have searched all ove the upper portions of the block to find where it originated from and turned up empty. The middle picture shows where I believe it is coming from (right next to the freeze out plug but the freeze out plug is dry). It is only comiing from the passenger side. I have followed your suggestion a few times before and when i go back to look at the spot after it being washed, it looks exactly like it didd before. Its just fustrating now....

Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be either water pump or water outlet. Did you replace your thermostat? The outlet gets pretty nasty over the years and if you don't clean the gasket seating area real well it can be a challenge to keep from leaking. I would pull the alternator and see what it looks like under there. You can get a good idea if it the outlet, heater hose or maybe the water pump. Could possibly be the bypass hose, but that would probably show up on the driverside.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what is that middle picture of. is it the front of the passenger side head ?
and is that a freeze plug right beside that puddle of coolant ?

coolant will flow downhill and away from the fan, so keep following the trail upwards.

if you suspect a freeze plug that's really hard to get to, clean it off as best you can without putting any pressure on it and put a huge coat of rtv over it.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Problem in Engine Compartment