2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wanna go fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:53 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Someone at this point will no doubt point out that diesel draggers run 4x4s so they can launch thier trucks at the strip. True... but getting a gasser to 700-1000 horsepower would daunting, risky, and prohibitly (sp) expensive.

fixed it for ya

yes i have seen cummins trucks push that much

heck i saw a ford ranger with a 4BT swapped in pushing 800

(drag truck, compound turbos pushing 100 lb of boost)

Old 11-12-2009, 03:00 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

No...I meant torque. Its not hard with a few mods to do. One of my friends in Phoenix had a 99 (?) that we'd dynoed at around 650 ft lbs with a piggyback, exhaust, intake and pump mods. 700 ft lbs was just a few adjustments away.
I watched him pop the clutch on a hill climb and shear all 4 front driveshaft to transfer case bolts off so fast it hardly made a sound.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Weldor
Veteran

I don't think this guy bought his truck to run on the strip, mabey he just wants a few bolt ons to give his truck some of its old power back. In that case, seafoam like said above is a good idea as well as fixing your plenum gasket because its a dodge after all. I would recommend maintenance before power adders. Just because its a 5000+lbs 4x4 truck dosent mean you can't make it fast, do what YOU want man its your truck after all.

Last edited by Weldor; 11-12-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

im not lookin to make it hang with hot inports and what not all my buddy drive 2 gen cummins and thare pretty qwik i just want to be able to hang with there truck and blow past the every day stock car and truck

Personally I think Junior needs a new girlfriend...but I degress.

So you want to go "fast" in a 5,000 + lb 4wd truck with aerodynamics of a brick. I'm guessing that "fast" either means blazing down the interstate at sub light speed, or are you looking for "quickness" so you can hang with your buds and thier fast and furious imports in the quarter? Or is it you mud bog and have to turn some fat boggers through the goo?
You probably think I'm a smart a**...which is fine except you've already missed the point. Perhaps you should know that I'm already the King of doing things the hard way. And being right, but bankrupt, is nothing to brag about.

Here's my blunt answer. If true quickness or real speed is your goal, you've started off with the wrong vehicle. We'll leave out the boggers for now...although you still have the wrong truck.

Your first performance mod should be to remove your fancy ram air system from your truck, and then back your 4x4 out and bring in a 2wd shortbed regular cab truck with the same motor.
Put the ram air system on the rcsb, and the stock system on the 4x4.
You have now just increased your speed and lowered your et cosiderably, by shaving about 1000+ lbs off your vehicle. And savy shopping probably saved you a ton of money you'd have spent modding the 4by JUST TO GET TO THE POTENTIAL OF THE STOCK RCSB!!!!
Not only that, but you have something a tad lower that can be modified further, potentialy improving your e/t, and most importanty, your high speed handling and aerodynamics.

Someone at this point will no doubt point out that diesel draggers run 4x4s so they can launch thier trucks at the strip. True... but getting a gasser to 700-1000 ft lbs of torque would daunting, risky, and prohibitly (sp) expensive.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by silverbullet-dodgeram
got a 01 ram 1500 5.9 (360)
want to put a cam tuner and other performance parts but not sure what

ANY SUGGESTIONS
Theres quite a bit of difference between the first and latest post here...because you don't need a cam to "blow past the every day stock car and truck".
I don't have any problems keeping up with traffic, (if thats what you really mean) and making safe and proper passing. I don't have much in the way of bolt ons. I think the most effort went into polishing and porting my T/B, and thats an area you could improve.
I'm sure you'd want some kind of tuner, but the type of tuner you chose is very dependent on the type of mods you intend to do.

Personally I suggest staying in school. English is an awesome language.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-12-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

DesrtDog, your right he needs more help than just a cam.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

ya thats right it my every day driver i just wanna truck that pretty quik i mean it might see the drag strip on a few times a year but it would just b for fun

Originally Posted by Weldor
I don't think this guy bought his truck to run on the strip, mabey he just wants a few bolt ons to give his truck some of its old power back. In that case, seafoam like said above is a good idea as well as fixing your plenum gasket because its a dodge after all. I would recommend maintenance before power adders. Just because its a 5000+lbs 4x4 truck dosent mean you can't make it fast, do what YOU want man its your truck after all.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys go easy on him, before Rick shows up ruins the fun!

What I suggest:
Get your stock truck in best possible running form.

That means:
Change all fluids - Change engine oil to a synthetic blend (Like Valvoline Durablend) and use a NAPA filter. Change the fluid in both differentials to a synthetic (Like Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synpower). Change the fluid (and filter) in the transmission and transfer case. They both use ATF+4. Also flush cooling system

Give it a tune up - Change the spark plugs. Use whatever brand you like, I usually use Champions or NGKs. If your truck pings, get a spark plug with a colder heat range. For wires, I used MSD Street Fire spark plug wires. They were $40 @ AutoZone. Change the distributor cap and rotor out to one with brass terminals. Unless you know if the coil was replaced recently, I'd replace it. Run a 1/2 can of Seafoam through the brake booster hose, and the other half in the gas tank. Also, take off your throttle body and clean with carb cleaner. Get a new gasket ($2 @ NAPA).

Now your truck should be running most efficiently, and now you can start with the mods.

Popular modifications include:
14x3 air cleaner with K&N or AEM Dryflow filter (Dont get caught in the CAI hype, they still ends up as hot air).
Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller Rockers
Kegger Mod
Hughes Plenum plate
Larger gears
Edelbrock shorty headers
Magnaflow direct-fit catalytic converter
Muffler of choice
2.5'' dual exhaust or 3'' single cat back exhaust
Superchips 3815 or 3865 tuner
And that is all I can think of now.

Read the DIY information and Ram FAQ in the stickies at the top of the 2nd Gen Ram page.

And BTW, fold your mirrors in. It cuts down on your wind resistance, making your truck faster!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Guys go easy on him, before Rick shows up ruins the fun!

And BTW, fold your mirrors in. It cuts down on your wind resistance, making your truck faster!!!
Man I knew I was forgeting something! I thought it was only for extra clearence on tight trails.

Purple I thought someone is/was having fun at our expense.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I knew I was forgeting something! I thought it was only for extra clearence on tight trails.
Trails? This is a thread about making a 4x4 brick go fast. Aint nobody go on no trails!!!

Quick Reply: wanna go fast