2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bumper mount or hitch mount?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:00 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper mount or hitch mount?

As you know im getting a buckstop(or one like that) bumper. I havent decided if i want to get a winch mounted permanently in the bumper or just go receiver mount. I am thinking i would like the portability of of receiver mounted winch(can put it in the rear also or remove it totally if i wont be somewhere i would need it). Opinions?

P.s getting a 8K-10K winch

Josh

Old 11-15-2009, 12:50 AM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a mount behind the bumper would be a better idea. it would just be a hassle to wire to the front and rear of the truck.
It would also get annoying to have the winch stick way in front or rear of the truck and if you took it off all the time you would have it in your truck which would suck also.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy a winch mount bumper and just wire the rear. At the fire house they have a 2500 ctd with a 9k when I do mine I'm going over kill and getting a 15k incase I get stuck or someone bigger than me gets stuck I can pull them out.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:26 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sadly we don't have a winch on any of our rigs at the fire house. We need to get them haha. Winch mount bumper as in installing the winch in the bumper? Or as in a hitch
mount?

Josh

Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are quick-disconnect kits that make using a receiver hitch winch much easier. There is something to be said for using a receiver setup for a winch. For one, not having all that weight on your front end all the time is good. Not having your winch always exposed to the elements or carrying the extra weight when you aren't off-roading is another. You also have other considerations with a winch mounted on the front of your truck when off-roading. For one, if you're the only one with a winch then you shouldn't lead. Chances are the front truck will be the one stuck first and if there's no trees or truck in front of you to anchor to the winch will be practically useless (this is why the ability to move it from front to rear is valuable). Second, a permanently mounted winch can reduce your approach angle making it easier for you to hit or get hung up on stuff. Third, the extra weight of a winch can sag or strain your front suspension and make the truck handle or react to bumps differently. These are all things you should consider before committing to a specific winch setup.

Quick Reply: Bumper mount or hitch mount?