2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Early Fall Steering and Stuff Replacement thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fall Project: 1 ton Steering and Swaybar hardware thread.

A couple people asked about my sway bar links in another thread.

I'll give you a brief overview of how it all went. Well as brief yet concise...

I had planned on upgrading my steering to a 1 ton crossover system. This summer it became a must, so I gathered my parts and prepared for the oportune weekend. I also wanted to install a different track bar bracket because my front axle wasn't properly centered under the frame and a drop pitman arm to realign my steering and track bar to minimize bump steer. Those who read my postings know I often comment about these details in other threads.

BTW, the disconnects are a warrior product. I've had them for years, and I believe they're designed to fit a Jeep YJ with a 5 inch lift. They weren't easy to R&R when I first got them, but with a little filing and breaking in they work like butter. The performance off road with the front bar disconnected is night and day.

And to answer another question, the sway bar and its components are powder coated. It's as addicting as chrome... I hope to have most of the front end redone in the coming months.

I removed all the 1500 steering components and after a goodly amount a cussing, heat and penetrating fluid, the pitman bar. I didn't trust my PC enough to have him do the TREs because you don't want powder in the threads, but the pitman arm and T bar bracket looked great. I had to clean out the pitman arm splines but it all went back together like OEM.
There was one parts glitch. To properly install the 1 T steering I needed a different tie rod for the pitman arm. The taper is a larger diameter, but you can use the 2000 and up replacement part. So I picked up one locally. The other TREs came from ebay.

Lastly I bought a set of Pro Thane bushings off of ebay as well. I had powdercoated the OEM mounts so didn't want the Energy Suspension stuff. I went with red because I show the truck and compete against vehicles who have more wow factor than mine. I also replaced the disconnect eye bushings and used stainless hardware.

One question...do the "pucks" on my disconnects look properly crushed?

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-24-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default Sway bar pics..

Not the best at these computers...

Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tried to look at the pictures earlier but the bug was still in the server.

so i checked out your album for the pictures.

nice work. that makes me want to strip my suspension off and take it to a friend of my dads to get it powder coated.

the only problem with that is i have to wait for him to get an order in the color i want unless i want to pay for it.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I wish I was hooked up like that.
This spring the truck will need brakes, bearings, and ball joints. At that time I'll be doing the shock towers and possibly the spacers but if the Tax man is good to me I'll get 5 inch springs.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how much does powder coating normally run on something like springs or the swaybar?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:54 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I probably have close to 150.00 or therebouts for all the pieces I did. I have my reciepts but not at hand.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:08 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default Last post, job complete.

I installed my homemade stabilizer bracket and stabilizer over the weekend.

While a 1 ton conversion really tightens up your steering, I could tell a slight difference with the stabilizer installed. I recommend this type of steering to any Ram owner with the "Y" type steering.

PS, if anyone comes across this thread during all photos have been moved to my garage

Quick Reply: Early Fall Steering and Stuff Replacement thread.