2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
if its at 2200 at 57 mph's thats usually 3rd gear. then when it goes to 1700, thats it slipping into OD
all depends on tire size and axle gearing....
It actually wont shift into od untill the fluid reaches a certain temp/viscosity from what I read before. my ford van even does this for a good five mins of driving sometimes when its really cold.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-17-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 AM
lblair04
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes me feel better that it might just be really cold! I have been holding off on installing an aftermarket tranny cooler due to the cold, but still might delete the check valve.

I am still going to check out the fluid level. Yes, I have a 1 car garage, but will have to take down the workbench and move around my tool chests and stuff to get it in. Will also go ahead and throw the cold front on. Been thinkin about adding a heater pad to the tranny pan, along with the already installed block heater, battery heater, and oil pan heater!

Cold sucks! Cant wait till New Mexico for my next base...at least its kinda warm with daylight year round......

Old 11-18-2009, 02:01 AM
discnik

This might be a little too late but there is a TSB 18-006-02 Rev. A for computer flash for the 3 - 4 shift. It changes it from 45 to 52 mph if memory serves. Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 AM
lblair04
Veteran

How do you go about doing that? Speaking of that...how do you get the death flash recall undone?

I just got done putting the cold front in...maybe this will help a little with keeping things warmer. Also noticed the lines from the factory tranny cooler are leaking...is this a normal thing for Dodges? Can I totally bypass the factory cooler with an aftermarket, or do most of you keep the factory? This leak dropped my fluid from full to the minimum line in a month.

Thanks for all the replies by the way!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 AM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran

get up to about 45 50 and manuly down shift it to 2 and let off the gas completely if it dont slow the truck down and the rpms go to around 1000 (basically idle) than ur snap ring that hold ur clutches together prolly broke thats what happen to mine i had to rebuld but if u drive easy u can get a few more miles out of her befor u have no choice but to rebuld

Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i dont believe you can get the deathflash "undone" thats what they use to re-tune with a blown plenum right?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get heat into that thing.
I guess we're all assuming that your gearing is not out of wack. And since you cracked into your tranny and there's no information on your tranny skills I guess we're also assuming you didn't mess up anything in there.
Too much fluid and too little fluid would screw things up. That's an easy check. Cold fluid could certainly be a problem from what you're describing. If you bypass your check valve then all your tranny fluid will be flowing to the aux cooler and it will take even longer to heat up.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet-dodgeram
get up to about 45 50 and manuly down shift it to 2 and let off the gas completely if it dont slow the truck down and the rpms go to around 1000 (basically idle) than ur snap ring that hold ur clutches together prolly broke thats what happen to mine i had to rebuld but if u drive easy u can get a few more miles out of her befor u have no choice but to rebuld
and if it aint broke yet thats probably a good way to do it! ?

Couldnt you start it and stick it in nuetral for a while and get things warmed up and then see if it still does it?.....seems safer to me than doing what was suggested above.....I had a friend in highschool accidently downshift (knocked the auto on the floor) while we were on the way to the beach and blew his tranny that way!

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-18-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Baddnet
Professional

I have to giggle everytime I see this thread.. Tranny problems... LOL.. I know way OT.. but still... lmao..

Quick Reply: Tranny ?