2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Automatic door locks no longer work, grinds.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:27 PM
schism
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic door locks no longer work, grinds.

I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 with automatic door locks, the drivers side went out a year or so ago pretty quickly, and the passenger side one started to only work half the time and has now pretty much just quit working. I haven't been all that 'mechanically inclined' in the past, but I think this is something I could handle easily enough. Now my question is, do you think this is something that can be fixed by lubrication and maintenance if I get in the door, or will the actuator/other part need to be completely replaced? They make a grinding sound when you try to use them, but the doors don't lock or unlock anymore unless you do it manually.

Also, is there a good website that sells a lot of parts like this? I'm looking to replace a few other odds and ends that are going out/don't function properly anymore.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's only one way to tell, and that's to remove the panel and see what lies beneath. Only then can the situation be ascertained.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 AM
ewb
Rookie

Sounds like the same issue I have. Mine is a 97 reg cab and all I hear is the regulators winding on both doors but the door locks dont work. The solution after taking the doors apart are the regulators that attach to the strickers which is the where the doors actually hit and close to the pin sticking out. I did some research and found out that Chrysler redesigned them after knowing they had a bad design. Problem is, you cant just buy the regulators unless you buy the new strikers and the dealership sells the whole thing for 150 a side. Says its like 340 out the door for the new design and for all of it to work. Or go to the junk yard but they probably wont work long either.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 AM
RedRigRon
Rookie

I had the same problem with the passenger side. I couldn't find a replacement at a junk yard nor the stealership. I ended up getting universal ones off of ebay and rigged it to the poll locks plunger thingey-a-bob. The actuator mounted else where on the panel. Work better than the stock one that is still in there.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 AM
ewb
Rookie

Ya, have to get the pop locks like they do when they shave the handles. thats a thought.

Quick Reply: Automatic door locks no longer work, grinds.