2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Huffzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problems

Well I'm new to the boards and well I have question to ask My 99 dodge ram has shifting problems, when I start it in the morning it shifts fine for the first 5 mins and as it gets hotter the truck seems to take longer to shift from each gear which sucks for fuel mileage plus not good for trans and motor to be over revving. But if I turn the truck off and start it again the truck will shift fine again for the first 5 mins so I'm thinking it's a sensor but not sure which one I know the one at the rear of the trans was replaced not sure which one that is but is there others that go bad???? I just need some help on this any input is good.

Also another question I purchased a set of 2007 dodge ram wheels and well they don't fit on the front and I know I'd need to open up the opening in the center to make it work but really don't want to do this because those wheels have a plastic cover on them and I have a fear that it make crack when milling it, so I'm wondering can I get wheel spacers and longer wheel studs to make this work with no heavy modification????

thank you
harvey

Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Pressure switch and selenoid...both are on the valve body.
Although I'm a bit suprised you didn't get some kind of CEL.
While you're in there...might as well do the OD shift selenoids too.
And then change the fluid/filter, and adjust bands. Then cross fingers.

I can't answer the wheel question but someone here oughta know. I would NEVER use a spacer or adapter on anything and especially the front.
Welcome to DF too!

Last edited by dsertdog56; 11-19-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with dog very strongly on the wheel spacers... ver bad idea for a front application...
longer wheel stud wont do anything but make u need longer lug nuts...
i think the only way to do this the " right " way would be to gt that hole a bit bigger.. but i think the man to talk to about milling, would be sherrif,, see if he chimes in ( sorry to throw ya under the bus here about yoru machining work)

as for the trans problems... dog is good with trans, so i would try that... if youve never been inside the transmission of anythign before,,, go to autozone and by the haynes manual for these trucks if you havent already... great books for stock.... STOCK setups... to do thigns inside the valve body, well hell, i wont even do that... to many parts for me... but you should be fine... im just afraid of messing everything up, so i try not to mess with transmissions...

Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 PM
xray99
Banned

Yup, governor pressure/solenoid are commonly failed components, and it seems they don't always throw codes when defective.
Did a write up changing them
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...d-install.html

In case you go that route, pretty easy procedure.
What you should do is get it professionally diagnosed, some shops will diagnose for free, others not.
You'll at least want someone to throw a scan tool on it while its driving preferably, those scan tools can tell a whole lot whats going on in the system.

Diagnosing tranny problems on the internet is almost always problematical, I'd hate to advise throwing parts at it and hoping it works.
But if you want to swap sensors, you're looking at $150 to $200, that includes the sensors and fluid, new gasket ect ,,, And maybe an hour or 2 on the install, depending on your mechanical pro efficiency.
As stated, adjusting of bands might help, might not, or might make it worse.
For sure don't adjust them unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Last edited by xray99; 11-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know when i originally blew my low/ reverse band out on my truck... i got some time to practice my band adgustment,... i did the low reverse, and one other band,,, just to see if it was a loss band causeing no reverse.. but nope... i wound up pulling that band out.. like litterallly, grabbed it with pliers, and pulled it out...

i did it that way becuase i knew i was getting a new trans anyway.. got me a millenium spec trans... transgo HD2 shfit kit, trans cooler... i should be good now... should

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 11-19-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added to it

Quick Reply: trans problems