2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmisson Problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM
jman6977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmisson Problem?????

I want to find out if I have a problem with my 46RE transmission. I noticed a couple of weeks ago when redoing my rear brakes that I could barely turn the axles by hand in the forward direction and not at all in the reverse direction. I didn't remember this issue a couple of years ago when I did the brakes. Since I had to take the transfer case off anyways to reseal it, I worked my way forward and found it to be in the transmission. I can barely turn the output shaft by hand in the forward direction and not at all in the reverse direction. All the checks were done in neutral, the trans is still original parts with about 130,000 miles since new in 1998 and so far doesn't have any shifting problems. I'm asking if this is a problem since I had an unexplained and so far unfixable drop in gas milage (from 15 down to 9) that happened about a year ago and I'm wondering if drag/resistance from the trans is causing the gas milage problem. As far as the gas milage problem goes, what I've done so far is replace both the O2 sensors, throttle position, and crank sensor (all from the dealer), checked all the other sensors and they appear to still be within limits of the manual, replaced all the ignition components except the distributor, new intake plenum gasket (it was leaking and using a quart of oil per tank of gas), new catalitic convertor and exhaust, rebuilt fuel injectors from Precision Fuel Injectors, compression check (all the same, I think about 130), and I still have the original flash on the computer. Any insight to either of these issue would be helpful. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmisson Problem?????