2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Searched but still cant figure out infinity speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Searched but still cant figure out infinity speakers.

Sorry I know that the infinity speaker question has been on here alot and I read as much as I could but still cant find answers. When I bought my truck the 2 6x9s in both front doors werent working. So I took off the drivers side door panel cause I have 2 aftermarket 6x9s I was just gona swap out. Well when I took the stock speaker out the back of it was wet so I dont know if the amp is friend or the speaker. So im wondering If I cut the wires that go to the amp witch two would I hook up to the aftermarket speakers or would this not work. Would the stock head unit have enough power to make the aftermarkets work without the amp. Im so frustrated and confused please help me.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well because you have the amps in the from there alot more power ful than the rear, i cut my amps out and connected them to the headunit so i have the same amont of power all around and put 6x9 in the rear and in the front sounds pretty good

Old 11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Alright so do you still have the stock radio in your truck or a aftermarket head deck. and when you cut out your amps do remember which wire you connected to your speakers. IM guessing the red one is direct power for the amp the black is ground then theres a green and a gray one. Ones gotta be the remote wire right? I dont want to fry my system by just cutting wires and hooking them up to see if they work or not.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

The stock Infinity radio has no power. The amps on the front speakers also run the rear ones. If you want to eliminate the Infinity stuff you need to use a powered head unit and either ring the factory wires out to find out which 2 go directly to the harness or just run new speaker wires. I figured out the factory wiring, but it wasn't easy because the colors in my truck's harness did not match the schematic I had from the manual.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

i had too print out a sheet on "alldata" for all the wiring , its an aftermarket headunit

Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

ok well what I did was cut the four wires that went into the amp on the back of the speaker. And then just tested The wires on the 6x9s that I had that worked. So the green and the black wires were the ones that worked for me. But now my front speakers sound great and my back ones are really muffled sounding but im guessing thats cause theres no amp powering them right? So eventully when I get a aftermarket head deck will that solve the problem with my back speakers or will I have to replace them to

Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Miami_Son
Banned

Like I said, the Infinity amps power both the front and rear speakers, so by removing them you now have a line level signal going to the rears and that isn't enough to drive them. Get a decent head unit with about 25Wx4 channels and you will see a major improvement in your audio.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
silverbullet-dodgeram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u have to have the amp DO NOT cut the wires i made that mistake

Quick Reply: Searched but still cant figure out infinity speakers.