2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 lack of preformance

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:38 AM
miller69time
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 lack of preformance

hi im new to this forum and i need some assistance, I just bought a 2001 dodge ex-cab 4x4 5.9 auto 3.55 will be switching to 4.88 w/65000 mi rancho 3" lift 35x12.50 r15 tires for a steal at $2600 with a bad (no reverse/orerdrive) 46re! i test drove going straight and the truck is a turd!!

trans is out and my good friend is rebuilding although we had to buy a press from harber frieght for the overdrive spring their not all that different than the ole727, we are installing red alto cluthes and a transgo shift kit also a hd tork all this for $800.00

now i dont know alot about the new magnums but i have been reading alot on the forum i do have knowledge of the old las and the 440 rbs (really big block) i blew up my last 1999 318 and dont want to repete that aka i was doing too too many rpm not thinking it would hurt her

i would like to know what parts will give me the most bang for my buck and where to find them at..i seen stainless heeders on ebay of 150 but i dont know if there any good)

i will tow/off road and occasionally go to the local drag strip but i do not expect a 15 sec truck just a fun to drive truck (will do a bun out with out having to power brake) to further explain my needs let me explain by example my wifes 1999 durango 5.9 4x4 3.92 lsd 31x10.50 tires runs a 16.8 in 1/4 mile not really fast but it will eat the tires by braketorqueing to 2000rps then floor it and let off brake very impressive.
see its not real fast just a fun vehicle

any suggestions will truly be appreciated ,thank you very much

Old 11-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Trey318
Captain

Check the plenum gasket first. A leaking plenum can be observed by looking down the throttle body into the manifold, if it looks oily down there, or if the truck has a lot of miles, you can be pretty sure it's shot.

If the plenum is bad, likely your next thing you should do is swap the catalytic converter. The oil burning the plenum causes basically ruins your cat. You should probably get a new o2 sensor as well.

Those stainless steel headers from ebay are very cheap quality, so I hear. I'd stay away from those.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 AM
miller69time
Amateur

hi i just thought id update a little just got my trans in it has a huges shift kit alto red eagle clutches and a 787 high stall towing converter by perfect converter inc
i am very impressed in the Main difference the 787 converter made it is very dramatic I highly recomend it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you nail it on dry pavement it burns rubber to 2nd and as soon as it shifts into 3rd the torq locks immediately and it holds overdrive on hills heck you can accelerate at 1400rpm at45 or so with out going out of overdrive unless you go further down on the pedel!!!

NOW SOME BACKGROUND ON THE TRUCK:
2001 4x4 4dr 5.9l 3.55 gear and now running 305 75 16 the truck was a dog before!

the stall speed is at about 1800 from what i can tell.

the only weird thing is in drive or reverse the truck wont move at idle when your foot is off the brake and it feels like something is slipping a little when you accelerate slowly so i asked my friend that rebuilt the trans and he said (Thats what you paid extra $ for thats the high stall converter and its nothing to worry about)And hes rite The converter came with a little pink paper that i found taped to the bottom of the box (i didnt see it untill after i asked my friend that rebuilt the trans) that said (this converter may have slipidge when accelerating below the stall speed THIS IS PERFICTLY NORMAL AND WILL NOT HARM ANYTHING!WOW I SAID
THIS CONVERTER REALLY WAKES THIS THING UP.

thanks i will still be doing future mods

another ? though when at full throttle the truck wont shift from 1st to 2nd it will redline unless you let up a hair but at 2nd to 3rd it shifts at 4900 so thats good
do you think it could be a simple kick down adjustment?

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

BTW 3.55 gears with those size tires will make it slightly doggy

Quick Reply: 5.9 lack of preformance