2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best Primer/paint for metal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best Primer/paint for metal

so im going to take and get all the lose paint off my fenders and sand the rust as much as i need to and i am going to prime it to fight against rust in the future.

I got new bushwacker pocket style fender flares that i painted to match my truck but they actually look so good i dont want to put them on because the truck has scratches and dents but the flares dont but paint matches perfectly

My question to you is what would be a great primer to put on so that the rust will stop and will not someday go above the fender flares

And would it be a good idea to paint also to stop rust, I will keep the fender flares on until they break and new ones will go on right away so i really dont need it to look nice under there.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:27 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how bad is it? good chance it is all the way thru, so it will spread, but if not, por15 is a great rust stopper..... rustoleum also boasts that they prevent rust.....
partstores have some cheap products for rust, they have liquid that you brush on and it converts the rust to black primer and they also have just plain rust remover, both are fairly cheap- under $10, por 15 is a bit more......i have used the rust converter on an old truck i have about a year ago and havent painted over it yet and its doing a good job....yes, i would slap paint on also since primer is fairly poous and will absorb water

Old 11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ditto on primer absorbing water.....I ground the rust out of the bottom of my rockers and doors and sealed and filled them with a two part epoxy..... then I primer ed it and two days later after about a two hour rain shower the rust was coming through the primer...(this was new surface rust i'm talking about.....anyway ground it back down and primed and painted it temporarily until I get around to rhinolining it like I did to the otherside ....
there is another product thats used more commercially but very similiar to por 15....call rust -zero the stuff works great but its not really ideal for the outer paint suface....Its ideal for inside panel finish and sealing as well as undercarraige and wheel wells and floor and trunk and such.

Quick Reply: best Primer/paint for metal