2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tune up

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tune up

i was thinking about a tune up and wanted to get some of your opinions on plugs and wires, i was considering maybe bosch platinum +4 plugs and 8.5mm wires, anyone have any suggestions? what works good for you?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New coil cap rotor mds or taylor wires. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ark-plugs.html

Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I have:

MSD StreetFire Wire ($40)
Mopar Distributor Cap and Rotor ($20) <-- probably go with dodge1500's choice
NGK V-Power Plugs ($20 or around there)

Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Avoid Bosch. There are very, very few Dodge owners that report good of Bosch plugs.

I've tried Bosch +4s, Bosch +2s, Champion stockers, NGK V-powers, NGK Iridiums, Autolite 3923s, and NGK stock-equivalent. The best for a non-tuned truck seem, to me, to be the V-powers or Champion stockers. The Iridiums are OK if you want to spend extra $$$ on a plug and not replace them for a very long time. The best for a tuned truck seem to be either the V-powers or Autolite 3923s.

As far as wires go, any premium set of wires usually works well. I have Autolite Professional wires, as they were they best set I could get locally at the time. They work well.

Any brass cap and rotor work well. Mine are BWD branded.

Make sure and follow the wire routing diagram when you route your wires, otherwise you may get crossfire. Do a search, you'll understand what I mean (and find tons more info).

Last edited by jasonw; 11-28-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm one of those few that loved the bosch platinum +4 plugs, feels like more power on the butt dyno and has a smoother idle. my sister really likes her bosch platinum +4 iridium plugs.

the other day i put the v-power plugs in because my +4 plugs have about 40k+ on them and when i put them back in i noticed that one of the ground straps was bent a little. the +4 plugs still looked good, just a little gray on the porcelain going to each ground strap but i heard good things about the v power plugs and i figured that i probably didn't straighten out that one bent ground strap good enough to prevent that plug from just firing to that one strap.

i also run the same cap and wires as jasonw. the wires are good and with the re-route i don't have any more cross firing. my cross fire was due to a cracked wire from my header melting the #7 wire, but that would happen to any wire that gets that close to the header. one day i will get those wire boot wraps that protect the wires from the heat of the headers.

Quick Reply: tune up