2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Advice on new engine build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
mdemco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on new engine build

So I have been researching a 5.9l build for awhile and found this site has a ton of useful info on it. I am looking for some advice on what I am planning on doing. I am going from a bone stock 5.2l to hopefully a little hopped up 5.9l.
I currently have:
Stock low mile 5.9l bottom end
Ported and polished stock 5.9l heads
Mopar r/t cam
Mopar 1.6 roller rockers
Mopar valve springs
Mopar performance ecm
Ported intake with bigger injectors

Now I have not run this setup yet I kind of bought it off a local guy as a kit and have no idea how it would run. I did tear the bottom end down to see what condition the rod and main bearings were in and planned on a bearing set throughout and new rings.

Then I started thinking I could get a 4.0 inch crank a set of .20 over KB pistons and stroke it. My worries are my valve train currently would not compliment a stroker very well and I worry about longevity of a stroker setup.

I guess my questions would be is my current setup enough hp for a dedicated off road rig without bothering with a stroker? Is a stroker setup going to mean replacing all of my current valve train? Can the mopar ecm run a stroker setup or do I need a sct tuner? I am also running a mildly built 42re that would probably have a death wish behind a stroker.

I wonder if I would be cheaper and more reliable with a fresh stock bottom end, a hughes airgap and all of my top end stuff. Motor would probably run pretty well.

Any insight from guys that have built strokers or non strokers would be great!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
mdemco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinions out there??

Quick Reply: Advice on new engine build