2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom subwoofer center console 2nd Gen Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 PM
r6roadracer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom subwoofer center console 2nd Gen Ram 1500

Thanks to some ideas I got from this board, I decided to tackle making my own center console that could hold a 10" sub and my 5 channel amp. And I added cupholders! Below are some pics of the box. It cost about $200 to make and $150 of that was getting the auto upholstery shop to cover it - I tried, but it required quite a bit of stitching so it was beyond my upholstering ability.

For anyone that would like to make a similar one, I have pretty good dimensions on all of the pieces I could work on getting to you, just PM me sometime.

The idea is this... the bottom section houses the subwoofer - my design is .65 cu ft, but in hindsight I wish I went to .75 or .80 as I changed the sub I was looking at. The next section up holds my amp which is a Viper 1100.5 5 channel (about the same as the Polk 1100.5 as both companies are owned by DEI). Due to the sub change I used some polyfill, not installed yet, so not sure how it will sound, but will report later. The next piece that drops in is a tray that covers the amp and acts as the floor for the storage compartment and the cup holders. Since this sealed the amp in, I installed a small 12v cooling fan in the rear below this tray and a slot in the front to allow airflow over the amp. The fan will tie in to the remote in circuit from the head unit.

All of the wiring is run under the carpet as I replaced the carpet so it was a good time to run the wires. The signal wires from the head unit come down the right side of the tunnel and up the front of the box, the power wire comes down the left and up the rear left of the box and the speaker out wires go front and back on the right but enter in the rear of the box. Amp ground is to a seat bolt.

The head unit is a blaupunkt Hamburg MP57 with built in bluetooth for the phone. Speakers were replaced with Polk DB component speakers. So it should all sound pretty good with hands free cell phone in an old 1997 Ram extended cab.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:01 PM
MaresMotorsports

I Like it, Nice Work.

I hand crafted and built my own box to hold my Infinity 10's under the backseat of my truck.
Afterwords I used rhino liner it to seal it up and make it someone indestructable.

Too bad it weighs close to 100lbs haha

Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
98 Ram "Hybrid"

Nice work. You may want more than just that one fan, that amp is going to get pretty hot.

Looks a lot better than my twelve that sits on my back seat....

Old 12-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

My Sub is under my Center Bench Seat in the front, kept my stock center console, thats where my Sirius Satelitte reciever is.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 PM
98 Ram "Hybrid"

Originally Posted by Mopar Mike
My Sub is under my Center Bench Seat in the front, kept my stock center console, thats where my Sirius Satelitte reciever is.
did you use the jl audio box for that or did you build a similar box?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Man that is awesome, I would love to do something like that.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

very nice...you got some mad skills but I would be worried about my amps getting too hot like that. that why they under the middle seat and my sub is in a qlogic box. I got a steal of $50 on it if I remember right.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Nice work...only thing I would modify,..is what 98 Ram "Hybrid" was refering to: since we're truck guys...put little blocks under each corner of the amp...to 4-by it and maybe add another little fan. This way the fan blows air "under" the amp as well. Great creation though.

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 12-07-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 AM
lblair04
Veteran

Another good idea, going along with the 2nd cooling fan...put one on the opposite end of the one thats already there. Make one pull air in, and one push it out, so there is air flow, not just air blown in.... Just an idea...

Old 12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

Originally Posted by 98 Ram "Hybrid"
did you use the jl audio box for that or did you build a similar box?

I honestly can't tell you, the person who I bought my truck off of, does Car audio work for a living so he's the one who did it. I know nothing about audio systems, as far as wiring them up or installing, all I know how to do is operate them. lol

Quick Reply: Custom subwoofer center console 2nd Gen Ram 1500