2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
mikey0469
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah my thermostat is stuck open right now too...its aggravating. dont want to work on it in the cold weather so i just stuck a piece of cardboard in front of my radiator for now.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM
RedRigRon
Rookie

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
halfway between 130 and 200 is about 165, so that seems a little low. did you test your new t-stat in a pot of water to see where it opened. sounds like its off a little.
I did not. hmmm... so isn't the 180 thermostat is suppose to be at 180? Sorry this is one area new to me. Sorry OP for treading on your tread.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 PM
DIYchw

Sounds like broken or stuck t-stat. I am new to forum but have done this many times on my vehicles. Good Idea for all changing thermostat...always put old and new in pot of water on stove with thermometer and watch them open and close noting what temps this occurs before putting new in the vehicle it can save you alot of time wondering later. I have only missed doing this one time and the new one I removed later was found not to work the temps marked on package. Usually thermostat easiest part in all that could be fix but not only component to cause this problem.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRigRon
I did not. hmmm... so isn't the 180 thermostat is suppose to be at 180? Sorry this is one area new to me. Sorry OP for treading on your tread.
they're supposed to. but sometimes they just **** up and either open too soon or too late. also sometimes the little valve doesn't seat, or gets scale or debris hung in it....

but either your temp gauge is wrong, or your thermostat is opening too soon.

Quick Reply: Thermostat