2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
cougardoug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Im looking to get a new set of wheels for my 99' dodge ram 4x4 360. I currently have a set of BF Goodrich Land Terrains on my truck and I am looking for a some new winter tires. The ones on it now probably have 1/2 to 3/4'' of tread left and i go to school in Erie PA which gets 6 inches of snow at a time on a normal basis. I have 2 sets of wheels so i plan on keeping the BF goodrich ones for in the summer and finding a good winter set. I priced 4 cooper M+S and they were $500 mounted, balanced and with tax. I was wondering if there are any other decent snow/winter tires with decent tread wear that were cheaper. My wheels are 265/75/R16

Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM
JasonB
Professional

Originally Posted by cougardoug
Im looking to get a new set of wheels for my 99' dodge ram 4x4 360. I currently have a set of BF Goodrich Land Terrains on my truck and I am looking for a some new winter tires. The ones on it now probably have 1/2 to 3/4'' of tread left and i go to school in Erie PA which gets 6 inches of snow at a time on a normal basis. I have 2 sets of wheels so i plan on keeping the BF goodrich ones for in the summer and finding a good winter set. I priced 4 cooper M+S and they were $500 mounted, balanced and with tax. I was wondering if there are any other decent snow/winter tires with decent tread wear that were cheaper. My wheels are 265/75/R16
I live in Colorado.... but I do know people who live in the Erie, PA area.... You guys do get dumped on with a lot of snow. I don't know anything about the Cooper tires you mentioned........ What makes them good "winter" tires anyway??

Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
011500Ram
Banned

I love my Grabber AT2's I drove in snow with them last night, and they hook up wonderfully. They are "Snowflake rated" also.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JasonB
What makes them good "winter" tires anyway??

No tire will do as well in the snow (on the road) as a nice set of snowies. Basically, a good snow tire has nice soft rubber and TONS of sipes, thats the key.

The cooper M&S's are one of my favorite snowies... a very nice tire. Also, look at the Hankook winter I-Pikes. They are a very good snow tire and are reasonably priced as well.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
moparama
Veteran

Cougardoug i have a set of 245/85 r16 which are pretty close to stock size. They are a hair taller and a c hair thinner. Like new 300 ther are yours. think they are goodyear. skinnier be better for snow anyway. Held them upto my 265 and they almost look like the same width but taller. im not to far im in buffalo ny

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM
moparama
Veteran

Ive ran the dicoverer in the snow and they go good also. these tires i offered are similar tread style to the cooper discoverer

Quick Reply: Winter Tires