2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OMG I can't believe I was driving on these brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CowTownRam
Ok guys.... I was driving around in the 2 ft of snow we got here in Calgary this past weekend when all of a sudden my truck started, not pulsing, not shuddering, but THUMPING....... Oh, I didn't mention that it is about -22 F here currently.
Hey...glad your ok...sheeez! My wife and myself lived in Calgary from 2000-2002, and know the speeds you drive at out there, (130+ on the Deerfoot), and sudden stops during rush hour! *(I still fly out there to work on the patch every Jan. 02 for 3-months a year). Anyways,...I just got my truck on Oct. 31/09 myself. When I was driving home it pulled to the right after applying the brakes something fierce...and it also felt like a "cadillac" stopping....THAT'S because it was the smooth stopping of METAL ON METAL!....when I removed the rear drums...the shoes and springs literally fell to the ground! (I changed EVERYTHING).

Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
CowTownRam

Originally Posted by Dodge.Ismo
Hey...glad your ok...sheeez! My wife and myself lived in Calgary from 2000-2002, and know the speeds you drive at out there, (130+ on the Deerfoot), and sudden stops during rush hour!
Yeah it blows my mind that people still drive 130+ on Deerfoot in this kind of weather. Well, you know how it goes...."I gots me a 4x4, I can drive as fast as I want" Yeah, but you still can't stop worth a damn!!!!!

If I can make it to the Autovalue tonight, I have all the parts ordered up, just gotta try to get there in the wife's non-4x4 car.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by CowTownRam; 12-10-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM
CowTownRam

Even with another snowstorm here in Calgary, I was able to get to the autoparts place and pick up all the stuff I needed for the brakes. 3.5 hrs later, I got one side done. Holy crap this is more difficult than disks. Biggest issue for me was that my Haynes manual pictures are for the driver's side, not passenger, so everything was backwards... took me awhile to figure THAT out. Luckily I picked up a spring tool, otherwise it would have been even more difficult. Changed the wheel cylinder too... wow, the fluid coming out of that thing was BLACK!!!!

Will work on the other side tonight and then bleed the brakes. It should go much easier now that I "kinda" know what I am doing this time.

Question though.... although the secondary shoe is sitting solidly against the anchor, the primary shoe is not as "snug". Is this normal? I'll take a photo tonight to show you guys what I am talking about.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, the fluid coming out of that thing was BLACK!!!!
There's an accident waiting to happen. Flush all that fluid out of the system ASAP. Don't be surprised if you rubber brake lines are falling apart.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Question though.... although the secondary shoe is sitting solidly against the anchor, the primary shoe is not as "snug". Is this normal?
Yes it is,..when everything is hooked up just give the shoes...assembly a snug wiggle into place type of thing. Then put on your drum, (if it goes on too easily,..pull off drum and adjust the star adjuster a few turns out, replace drum), do this a couple times so you won't have trouble driving in reverse, slamming on the brakes, to adjust your rears,..might have trouble doing this in 3' of snow on top of 1/2" of ice!! **remember...use brake cleaner, to clean all parts/surfaces,..don't use WD-40! GL. ..oh yeah flush out that "black" fluid and start bleeding in this order: 1) right rear 2)left rear 3) right front 4) left front ***As J415 said,..flush it good!..then take a moment and check your rubber brake hoses for damage....could just be eaten a bit on the inside..but better safe than sorry, (BRAKES ARE THE 1 PLACE YOU DON'T WANT TO SCIMP AND SAVE MONEY!)

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 12-10-2009 at 11:53 AM. Reason: forgot to "flush"!!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge.ismo
yes it is,..when everything is hooked up just give the shoes...assembly a snug wiggle into place type of thing. Then put on your drum, (if it goes on too easily,..pull off drum and adjust the star adjuster a few turns out, replace drum), do this a couple times so you won't have trouble driving in reverse, slamming on the brakes, to adjust your rears,..might have trouble doing this in 3' of snow on top of 1/2" of ice!! **remember...use brake cleaner, to clean all parts/surfaces,..don't use wd-40! Gl. ..oh yeah flush out that "black" fluid and start bleeding in this order: 1) right rear 2)left rear 3) right front 4) left front ***as j415 said,..flush it good!..then take a moment and check your rubber brake hoses for damage....could just be eaten a bit on the inside..but better safe than sorry, (brakes are the 1 place you don't want to scimp and save money!)
amen!!!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
CowTownRam

Very cool Dogeismo! Yeah, I planned to flush the entire system. I have tons of fresh fluid for that.

OK, I am feeling better about my install then. Good call on the brake lines too. Since I am flushing everything out anyhow, may as well get as fresh as possible.

Expecting this puppy to stop on a dime once I am done.....
(ok, maybe a LOONIE)

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM
CowTownRam

Ok, one more question..... All 4 shoes I bought look EXACTLY the same. I could not see ANY discernable difference .... are they interchangeable? I have read/heard that they often are different on some vehicles.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Ok, one more question..... All 4 shoes I bought look EXACTLY the same. I could not see ANY discernable difference .... are they interchangeable? I have read/heard that they often are different on some vehicles.
On our Dodge brakes, (+most other vehicles too)..the rear shoe should have more of a "pad" on it, and the front shoes surface pad should be shorter. This is because the braking for the forward motion of the vehicle to come to a stop requires more "braking power" due to higher speeds. The "reverse" contact brake shoe, is the front, shorter "pad" surface due to less "braking power" required...because of usually low reverse speeds.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

PS: If for some "weird" reason you happen to buy some shoes that are all the same, (1st I'd tell you to check + make sure you have all 4 proper shoes required...check the square holes, where the two peice metal plate type interlinked "Star" wheel clicker thingy, (almost explained it/sounded like a bitch there eh? ha..haa), hooks up to the shoe...for spring holes...etc.,.. the front+rear individual shoes DO have differences,..the bottom of them are different...spring holes...ya gotta look close, important to pay attention when disassembling. *any troubles,...just ask.

Last edited by Dodge.Ismo; 12-10-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: OMG I can't believe I was driving on these brakes!!!