2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen Women owners/drivers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by xray99
I think the bad woman drivers thing is a myth, if there are stats to support that contention I'd like to see them.
I say it all the time just to rile up females, but I really haven't see that borne out by facts in 20 years on the road.
Most chicks I know tend to drive defensively, and guys are usually the ones taking the risks, trying to show off.
Maybe the gender thing is worse in some areas I don't know, what really disturbs me is people yacking on the cell phone while driving, now in that case ladies might be worse, as they tend to get more involved and animated during phone conversations.
i have seen proof of women being bad drivers. there was this one women in my town who got cut off and she paniced and stompted on the gas instead of the breaks and drove right through a bus shelter. good thing there was no in the bus shelter.
heck i even find my mom swerving all over the road

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 12-12-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM
xray99
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen proof of bad woman drivers too, I have also seen proof of bad male drivers.

Without stats, its meaningless to use your limited observations as a base to draw a conclusion as to gender being a factor in unsafe driving.

The other night I was coming down a side street towards my house and a van turned towards me about a block up, made an extra wide turn which was completely in my lane.
No problem, I thought, I slowed down a bit to give him time to get over, the guy wasn't getting over, he kept coming right towards me.
I'm thinking WTF, he keeps coming and now I'm stopped, flashing my lights and when he gets about 5 car lengths from me I pound the horn, it looks like he just going to smash right into me, and the guy had his head down, probably adjusting a GPS or something.
He finally looks up just before smashing into me, and his eyes pop out and he just looks like "OH MY GOD!!" and he swerves just in time to avoid me, he was going nearly 30, would have been a nice impact.
Head down for a full block, zipping down a side street, his concentration absorbed by something else, obviously that is how accidents happen.
I got near instant road rage and the only thing that stopped me from whipping my truck around and probably ramming him from the rear was I had 2 of my girls with me, and they were already panicked enough from the near impact without seeing my fly into a rage on the street.

So am I to come to the conclusion that all males are bad drivers now ?

Here is something that shows just the opposite.

Bad female drivers? It's just a myth, new analysis finds

That age-old stereotype about female drivers being unsafe is shattered in a major new traffic analysis: Male drivers have a 77 percent higher risk of dying in a car accident than women, based on miles driven.And the author of the research says he takes it to heart - when he travels his wife takes the wheel.
"I put a mitt in my mouth and ride shotgun," said David Gerard, a Carnegie Mellon University researcher who was a co-author of the analysis.
The study holds plenty of other surprises.
-The highway death rate is higher for cautious 82-year-old women than for risk-taking 16-year-old boys.
-New England is the safest region for drivers - despite all the talk about crazy Boston drivers.
-The safest passenger is a youngster strapped in a car seat and being driven during morning rush hour.
The findings are from Traffic STATS, a risk analysis of road fatality statistics by Carnegie Mellon for the American Automobile Association.
The analysis calculates that overall, about one death occurs for every 100-million passenger miles traveled. And it shows that some long-held assumptions about safety on U.S. highways don't jibe with hard numbers.
For example, those 82-year-old women are 60 percent more likely to die on the road than a 16-year-old boy because they are so frail, said Anne McCartt of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, who was not part of the study.
Right behind octogenarians in high risk are young male drivers, ages 16-23 with fatality rates four times higher than average.
Of all the ages to be in a car, 4-year-olds have the lowest death risks - probably because they are in child car seats and their parents drive more carefully, Fischbeck said.
"They are really protected, they're being driven around in times of day when it's very safe (and often in minivans)," said study co-author Paul Fischbeck. "It's a win-win-win-win situation."

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/01/19/Wo...ivers_It.shtml

Last edited by xray99; 12-12-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't know about that last line xray. the worst time to drive in my town is between 10am and 4pm. yesterday i saw a guy in a tahoe that wasn't paying attention squall the tires and almost rearend the guy in front of him.
then about a mile up the road me and the dump truck on my left got cut off by some woman that couldn't wait for half a minute for traffic to clear to take a right on the other side of me.
then about a half mile up the road a woman squalled her tires to get out in the center lane then laid on her horn at the jeep in front of her (and almost nailed him) to go because the light was green, but she failed to realize that he was pushing the van in front of him with his bumper and was taking his time.

the way i see it, its older women not paying attention(tunnel vision/reduced reaction time), young girls that pay attention to everything but the road (friends/cell/radio etc..), and the high maintenance women that have a cell in one hand and lipstick in the other that make the stereotype so true.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:01 PM
xray99
Banned

People will believe what they want to believe, I don't think you have a leg to stand on as far as actual proof/stats go.

Did you not see the stat, put out by Carnegie Mellon University researchers, that male drivers have a 77 percent higher risk of dying in a car accident than women ?
If true, thats pretty staggering, and the only reason that could be is that males take more crazy chances than females, as they tend to do in just about everything else.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Size Matters

i try to be a good driver. i wont drive if im too tired or if i have had anything to drink. i look over my shoulder, and i try to always be aware of my surroundings,which works because you never know what you have to dodge. by always looking around, i was able to save my car and my husband yelling at me for not paying attention, by dodging a ladder that fell from a guy in front of me. i knew no one was is the left lane. so i moved quickly. saved my car and my ***. now, i do have my issues too. **** me off and i will f**k with you severely. i WILL get in front of you and use my hand brake (no break lights, good for when your speeding and you see a cop checking for speeders) watch to see where you are going to try to go, go there first (im talking lanes) and keep doing it. there was one case, a guy tried to cut me off so i down shifted and race him (his lane was ending, into mine). there was a car infront. he started to slow down but i went onto the shoulder around this guy, the other guy that was a dick saw and tried to do the same. i still won. so yes, we have our good moments. i check over my shoulder and observe my surroundings, use my blinker, can be nice and let you over or mean if i feel like it, but i do like to have fun on the road and will put you in your place. there are some good female drivers tho. not many. thats why theres the saying "women drivers no survivors"

Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^there's a big difference between aggressive driving and careless driving. i'm not knocking you about the guy that waited until the last minute and wanted to cut you off, i would probably do the same thing if i wasn't in a good mood. i've heard about and seen a few wrecks in my town that are from careless driving. the one that stands out the most in my mind though is a wreck i passed last year where a woman decided to take a left in front of an 18 wheeler and got her daughter killed in the process.
when you're driving aggressively, you're on your toes. but when you're driving carelessly, you don't even see it coming.

back in the 80's my mom had a ladder experience too, she was learning how to drive in my dads 75 v8 stick shift camaro in san diego and a ladder fell off a truck in front of her. before my dad could get his heart back into his chest, she straddled it and managed to not even touch it with the undercarriage.

i don't think all women drivers are bad drivers, its just that you only hear about the ones that get into wrecks. and half the time it is because they had their head in the clouds, instead of on the road.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 AM
xray99
Banned

One time this chick stupidly cut me off, I mean she came over 3 lanes and I had to swerve almost into a light pole to avoid being broadsided.

I got instant road rage, I was catching up to her, already looking for something in my vehicle that I could throw at her car.
So shes at a light and I pull up next to here and I'm like "YOU STUPID %*^&$ WHAT THE HELL YOU ALMOST KILLED ME YOU DUMB $%#@@!", or words to that effect.

Her reaction ? She smiled, and blew me a kiss !
I was dumbfounded, but her clever ploy worked, and my road rage disappeared as fast as it came on.
She was cute, I smiled back and waved, she gave me a little girly finger wave and giggled, which caused me to say Awww, and I blew her a kiss.
She had a friend in the passenger seat, she was cracking up, probably thinking god, what suckers guys are for a pretty face.
Light changed, we went our separate ways.

So female drivers do have some advantages, if that was a guy me and him would have went at it.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen Women owners/drivers