2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Win me over on getting HIDS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Win me over on getting HIDS!

Ok so I couldn't get the search function to load at all so i am resorting to using a posting lol. So I need good reasons to go to hids vs just the stock bulbs. Does it give you a longer viewing distance? Wider field? How much better than stock are they? Do i need to get a whole new light assembly( the plastic piece the light shines through) Will i still have my High/low beams? Thanks for all the info. Mostly just want someone to win me over on getting them.

Josh

Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran

It all depends on if you buy a whole setup or a conversion kit. The whole setup comes with everything you need, including the correct lenses. Which means the light is properly ditributed. If you go with a conversion kit, you can use your stock lenses, but the light will not be distributed correctly. Also you will need to aim them so you dont blind people. Price is another biggie. The whole setup can be pretty expensive, as the conversion kit can be pretty cheap.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

they are worth it IMO, for they look better, shine brighter, and overall are just better. And i believe you can order kits with the new headlight assembly included.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes they sell complete kits for around $200 including hid headlight assy (projector style mostly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-9...item2a02978858
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...item255775eb38

putting the hid's in the stock housing is a bad idea because of the textured lenses...Therre's a guy in town who did it in a 2nd gen and I can spot him every time...the headlights look light the highs are on and are blinding ...funny thing is they loof way too bright from any angle and he is loosing all that light that should be aimed at the road..(doent look like they give him great light on the road anyway cause he went with blue)

They also sell hid bulb kits with deflector shields to help keep the light aimed at the road...I would suggest at least a set of clear lensed headlights first though...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-12-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Wow those are spendy! Maybe a set of Hella's, would be better?

Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
Wow those are spendy! Maybe a set of Hella's, would be better?
lol...yeah but HID's are 3 times brighter than any of the legal halogen bulbs and use 35w compared to most halogens using 55-65w...
they are cheap if you want to replace old factory housings really... and they do a lot to update the look of the truck.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
360mag45
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
yes they sell complete kits for around $200 including hid headlight assy (projector style mostly)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-9...item2a02978858
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...item255775eb38

putting the hid's in the stock housing is a bad idea because of the textured lenses...Therre's a guy in town who did it in a 2nd gen and I can spot him every time...the headlights look light the highs are on and are blinding ...funny thing is they loof way too bright from any angle and he is loosing all that light that should be aimed at the road..(doent look like they give him great light on the road anyway cause he went with blue)

They also sell hid bulb kits with deflector shields to help keep the light aimed at the road...I would suggest at least a set of clear lensed headlights first though...
is there a lot of wireing you have to do or is it just cut and splice

Old 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by 360mag45
is there a lot of wireing you have to do or is it just cut and splice
just cut and spice with the ones I bought (non hid version of the second ones posted above)
the hid version may come prewired for the 9007 bulb like mine did and if so you have to swap two wires around.
the leds and white light and halo you just spice into your running lights and blinkers...(very east)

Quick Reply: Win me over on getting HIDS!