2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pulls left - straightens during braking - straight for a while then pulls left again

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:31 PM
eristocratic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulls left - straightens during braking - straight for a while then pulls left again

My 2000 Ram 1500 started pulling to the left after replacing both tie rod ends and the lower ball joint on the left side. Alignment was performed. The pull is constant and the steering wheel ***** to the left as well. When I hit the brakes, the steering wheel straightens up and the pull goes away. It will stay straight for a random amount of time (usually until I hit a bump or turn left) then suddenly it's pulling left again. It's a used vehicle I recently bought: I noticed the right brake hose was new so on a lark I replaced the left brake hose which looked original - it was probably a good idea to replace it, but it didn't help the problem. I'm considering replacing the caliper next but it strikes me as odd that the steering stays straight for a little while with no brake applied. I'd figure a bad caliper would always pull no matter what, and the steering would only straighten because of equal pressure on both rotors. Something in the steering mechanism itself perhaps? Sadly, I'm not experienced in that realm. Side note: It does make a nice bad-power-steering-hum during full turns in either direction - say, when pulling into a parking spot (especially when it's cold). This site has been a big help to me so far and I figured I'd run it by you guys before I spend next weekend replacing things and scratching a hole in my head. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
eristocratic

Okeedokee - well, did some exploratory poking today as well as replaced both brake's slide pins/bushings, slide pin boots, and anti-rattle clips. They came in a kit for ten bucks so what the heck. No real change in behavior though. All the nuts/bolts for the arms, gear, etc. seem to be torqued properly and I didn't find any play to indicate further problems with the ball joints (yay - in fact both uppers look new-ish, I'd almost swear they're moogs). I did find abnormal play in the power steering gearbox; however, so I think I might have found 3/4ths of my culprit right there. The other 1/4 could easily be the rotors themselves and/or the caliper pistons too. Both rotors are fairly chewed (with concurrent pad damage) - more so on the left than the right, and the left wheel IS "grabbier" than the right when free-wheeling. I think the play in the gearbox combined with the extra friction on the left side equals the behavior I'm seeing. So my next question: has anybody rebuilt a PS gearbox on one of these that might have some tips and/or point me in the right direction where I can find a manual or similar resource for a rebuild? I'd like to assess the difficulty of rebuilding before I shell out a hundred fifty bucks for what's likely a factory rebuilt gearbox anyway. The rebuild kit is only about 20 bucks. I have the time, and my stepfather's garage 24/7 with a wide variety of tools at my disposal, and I'll be R&R'ing the calipers anyway.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:19 PM
eristocratic

Update: Well I adjusted the steering box - took a little trial and error, but I got it. It's amazing to me how drastically the steering changes with just minor adjustments. Next weekend I'll slap some new rotors and on it for the real test and barring something like a proportioning valve problem (unlikely)I think I should be in good shape. Though I'm second guessing myself a little bit right now about my measurement of the pads - logically it makes no sense for them to be equally worn since I know I have a drag on the left side. Perhaps I measured the same pad twice, or the previous owner put a used set on it before handing it over (I haven't put enough miles on it to really use much of a pad, and I didn't measure it to micrometer degrees of accuracy)... I guess it'll all come out in the wash but I will investigate that further too if the rotors don't change things for the better. Wish I'd spun the tires without the calipers on just for the "control group" effect but it'll be on the list for next weekend as a possible next diagnostic step. No movement on my thread here, but I'm still giving the play-by-play just in case someone glides by and happens to find this stuff useful.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:16 PM
eristocratic

Well the brakes got lots of much-needed love and she's stopping like a champ no doubt about it, yet she still likes to wander to the left. Perhaps there's something interesting over there that she wants to check out :P Ahhh well, it was a nice sunny warm day for some mechanical work, and to share a couple of brews with friends. I'm feeling perhaps it's the control arm bushings after all, as someone suggested on another board. Have some other stuff to do tomorrow, and cash is a little tight so the bushings will have to wait a bit. All and all it was still a good day.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You are in a dead area and you need to post in your era of year of make.

2nd Gen Ram
1994 through 2001 Rams

~Rustin~

Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would also help if you filled out your profile info so we know whether you have a 4X2 or 4X4.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

sounds like a frozen caliper, cuz you say it straightens during braking.

well a frozen caliper could keep the brakes in the braking position cause strain on that wheel for its not turning at the same speed, it has drag.

then you hit the brakes and it evens it out cuz now both brakes are engaged. mine gotfrozen during this snow storm we just had and it was doing the same thing. i slammed the brakes a couple times and it came out of it and hasnt done it since. but i was plowing through snowbanks etc. and thats why i think it froze.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 PM
eristocratic

@ hydrashocker: Well I thought I had... Apologies - and I forgot to visit my CP and fill stuff out as well! Argh.

Anyhow, nope not the brakes in the least. Looks to be control arm bushings --- she went downhill real fast and the frontend clanks and clunks over bumps something fierce, now. I've got a set of bushings on the way, as well as a set for the stabilizer bar. I think that will have her riding like a lady

Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 AM
87notcher

Ever install the control arm bushings? Ive had the same problem with brake dragging on my truck since I bought it. My right caliper always has a drag on it. Ive replaced it twice and put new brake hoses on the truck and havent had any luck. Im thinking proportioning valve or master cylinder somehow now.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it back to the shop that did the alignment and ask for a refund because it sounds like they didn't properly check the parts. You can't align a truck with bad parts.

Another suggestion once you have it back together and the front end is solid is to cross rotate the front tires. If your pull changes to the right then you will know that the tires are causing the problem.

Quick Reply: Pulls left - straightens during braking - straight for a while then pulls left again