2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrading my speakers.... keeping everything else stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:32 PM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my speakers.... keeping everything else stock

So since my front speakers are blown, I've decided I'd like to simply upgrade all the speakers in my truck.(non premium package) I love the look of the stock radio and how it matches the factory illumination so I'd really like to keep it. (for now..)

Since the fronts and rears can technically both hold 6.5s(reg cab) I'm looking to buy 4 of these and put them all around. (I may later tap a line-out converter and throw a single amp for a sub)

Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch

They get such awesome reviews and for a great price. Hard to find anything like them in the 6x9 category.

My questions:
  • 1. These speakers are 4-ohm, will they work with the stock radio? I recall someone mentioning 4-ohm speakers should work..
  • 2. Speakers are claimed 180watts, will the stock stereo provide enough power to get them in a decent listening range? (though reviews say they sound good even on a stock h/u)
  • 3. Will I need to seal the gaps when installing them?? (since they'll be going in 6x9 and 5.25 spots)
  • 4. Yes yes I know I should get an aftermarket H/U........ but will this sound decent?

Last edited by bobboraze; 12-12-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the stock stereo was 4 watts rms so if the speakers are rated for that power in the rms level your good (which they should be)
yes you want to seal the gaps or the bass will be canceled out by the lack of seperation of air/sound waves in front and behind the speaker..

Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

* power range: 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power) *

There is no way that the factory deck is going to be able to push those the way they need to be with that kind of watt range.

Personally, save your money and build a WHOLE system instead of just doing speakers.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:07 PM
bobboraze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I believe the stock stereo was 4 watts rms so if the speakers are rated for that power in the rms level your good (which they should be)
yes you want to seal the gaps or the bass will be canceled out by the lack of seperation of air/sound waves in front and behind the speaker..
I've been searching and I can't find what rms the stock unit is at... I suppose I'll assume 4rms then. I see a lot of other cars stockers rated at around 8rms usually. Yeah I remembered you talking about needing to seal the gap from the last thread, didn't want to bump it as it was old and 4 pages long. Got it.

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
* power range: 6-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power) *
There is no way that the factory deck is going to be able to push those the way they need to be with that kind of watt range.
Personally, save your money and build a WHOLE system instead of just doing speakers.
I think I understand it more now. It'll work(with decent quality) if the max rms per channel from the h/u is within the rms range of the speakers... (and assuming the ohms match... stock h/u is 4 ohms?) So speakers with a low rms range can still play quality sound at a lower power input.

I've found another set of very nice alpines that claim 2-80 watts rms... so those would sound decent with the stock h/u?

I have money to spend, and I did some car audio years back... just like I said I really like the matching stock look is all... + I figured some decent speakers would be fine as I could always upgrade the rest down the road...

also... the fronts are for sure 6x9s correct??

as crutchfield lists fronts and rears as:

Front speakers
Front Door: 5-1/4"

Far rear speakers
Behind Seat: 5-1/4"

Last edited by bobboraze; 12-12-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my speakers.... keeping everything else stock