2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cured my "Truck will only start when it wants" disease...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:00 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cured my "Truck will only start when it wants" disease...

Truck wouldn't start sometimes, but when I geared up and down really fast, threw it in neutral, and cranked it, BAM!, it would start. But not today. No, it failed to start for three hours in front of a bank. Luckily my town has like 3,000 people and the town is little. So I walked to an auto parts store down the street. I had however, replaced my starter, fuses, and checked the wiring before. Come to find out basically my last option was the ignition switch. And it was. Thank God I cured it. I was so sick of being stranded for hours on end. Just thought I'd share my success with y'all.

Why the hell is it always the one thing you would never had thought could be the problem?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thats what we call an example of Murphys Law....been there many times...

Old 12-16-2009, 08:59 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to live in a town like you describe. sounds like a good place to raise the kids. so sick of the rat race.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by seabass202
I would love to live in a town like you describe. sounds like a good place to raise the kids. so sick of the rat race.
Haha, at least his small town has a parts store. Sure wish I had one a little closer.

Edit, glad you solved the problem OP

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 12-16-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have an '01 and your ignition switch went out? Do you have a lot of small trips where you turn the truck off and on repeatedly?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Yea its a small farm town. the roads in town are still paved with brick lol. It's a dying town though. We have two parts stores. They keep trying to bring in new stuff, but they know its dying, so they dont bring in much. To eat, we have a subway and a dairy queen. The other small places are mom and pop restaurants.

And yea, I constantly have to make trips to town for parts for tractors and such, and I believe the previous owner used it the same way I do, so the key was turned on and off alot.

Cool thing is, my stock switch didnt have a lit ring, but my new one does. But the damn ring wont light up...

Quick Reply: Cured my "Truck will only start when it wants" disease...