2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 2500 4x4 cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
mtnsammy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 2500 4x4 cooler lines

The pressure line cracked and while we were trying to remove it the tranny side split. 1/2 in the tranny the other on the line.

In the middle of the fitting there seems to be an orifice. Has anyone been this far into the tranny? Before anything else breaks I was looking for some inside info.

Truck is mostly stock and has 300,000 plus on it. Everything is frozen solid or worn past broken.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 PM
mtnsammy

Really?? No One has broken this fitting? My only concern is the center piece. The brass fitting looks like 9/16th flare for the cooler line and 1/4 pipe for the tranny. On the tranny it looks like the threads also have a center piece that fits inside the brass fitting. The center is non magnetic so it is either part of the machined case or a Stainless fitting held in by the brass fitting. I am trying to do this repair with only one arm and I am a lot less capable with only the one arm. Any help would really be nice. The only other option is a flatbed to the nearest shop 48 miles away. Way too much for the tow alone. I will hit the wrecking yard today with my 20 yo kid to see how many other trannies I can break but hopefully find the fiix too.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM
mtnsammy

Not much help here so far but here is a ink to the TSB's on the 97. Looks like the coolant system failed and the pan shows real bad signs of failure. Small washer of clip rings were found in the debris and the oil was black and burnt. Check your coolant system for check valve failure \, new fitting on drivers side upgrade and po9ssible bypassing the factory cooler for aftermarket one. Failure on outlet hose at plastic clips is what led me down this ugly road.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/17/971780d0.html

I also tried to upload a photo of the broken fitting with a stainless insert. This is one of the needed upgrades to the coolant system but it breaks very easy.

Attached Thumbnails 97 2500 4x4 cooler lines-img_0127.jpg  
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry man never been that deep into the tranny... with 300,000 miles.. you might want to look into a new one

Old 12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
mtnsammy

Lookin into it but at $2000 at Christmas it's hard.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM
mtnsammy

Well the shop finished it for us. THe fitting in the middle of the brass is stainless steel. With a drill and a few minutes it was out. THe shop had more room to work and two hands to do it. An expensive lesson but worth the knowledge. A rebuild will be in the near future still but the coolant lines are back in.

Quick Reply: 97 2500 4x4 cooler lines