2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlight questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlight questions...

ok, i know just about everyone has seen my truck and the headlights i have, they are the halo progector lights... but there are now a problem with the whole setup that i just noticed...

ok, i turn my markers come on, and everything is good... i turn my lights on, high or low beam and the highbeam idiot light is on, but, i click it to high beam and it is dim as hell, dim enough to make me seem like my lights turn off... but i get out and it is both inner and outer lights on... i click it to low beam, and it is bright, accually very bright... but its just the single lights in each side... i hope that makes sense...

also the other thing i noticed, i turn my marker lgihts on and fog lights on and they work, i turn the headlights on, high or low beam, and the fog lights turn off, aswell as the indicator light on the dash is off... so is this the same problem? or something else?

all these problems started after i added the halos, but they dont have any problems, its all plug together...

also is it supposed to be the same bulbs in the high and low beams, i looked and they are both H1 bulbs. and have never seen both highs and lows being the same and one supposed to be brighter

Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay look in my sig thing and make sure we have the same headlights. Mine do the exact same thing... Your high beam light is going to stay on, get use to it I guess... Plug it up like you normally do... Have you connected your halos up yet? What I did as I get sick of the damn things, was put them on low beam where they shine real bright and then just angle the headlights till they point where you want them to... Sorry i can't help more. I contacted many halo stores and asked for help and they told me to shuv it...

And don't waiste your money on installing brighter lights (the ones one the side that won't work for you either really) as they will only make them a tiny bit brighter.

And BTW I see you did a shackle flip. Would you mind explaining the whole process and whats needed in the lift and body mods thread.

Last edited by Gav1n8; 12-29-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

did you flip the two wires in the main plug? they come wired for the later sport bulbs...at least mine did and I had the same issue with both being on....they are not on all the way though....you need to flip two of the wires if you search you will see its been covered before I did that and that how I found pics of wiring diagram on which two wires need swapping....

I will go outside now and look.....neighbors are gonna think im nuts under the hood in a house robe out in the snow...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok, i have to look up that thread you said? the search on this forum hates me and never gets what i want... anyone can pull up the link for me? cause i think i have the same lights as you augie...

can you explain to me in detail what i have to do, cause it does seem like they arnt coming on all the way... that would be great...

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 12-29-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...need-help.html

try this link as I searched real quick and didn't read all the way through it but it was a real long one on this subject... I'm still reading it.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

ok on the halo wiring harness you have to cut and swap the black and blue wires....this will make them work properly in the older style rams...(there should be a red blue and black wire going from the blue plug) so you wire the black wire comming out of the plug to the blue wire going to light and the blue wire out of plug to the black wire going to light.... Good luck...you'll find that both the high and low beams will be way brighter this way too...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-29-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

I don't think that link answered it... Just listen to augie... I'ma try this tomor too...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

our trucks took 9004 bulbs and the halos come wired for the 9007 bulbs....later setup if you look at pinout diagrams it will tell you to basically swap the two wires around I mentioned to make them correct for our truck...

Old 12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok so your talking about teh wires that are in teh plug that plugs into the harness.... and just to ask this. the lights in my truck say H1's, not 9004s... same bulb? or should i get teh 9004s? would it help to get the brighter ones, or just get teh reg ones? any HID's for this light?

and will this swapping the wires make the fog lights work correctly too?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
ok so your talking about teh wires that are in teh plug that plugs into the harness.... and just to ask this. the lights in my truck say H1's, not 9004s... same bulb? or should i get teh 9004s? would it help to get the brighter ones, or just get teh reg ones? any HID's for this light?

and will this swapping the wires make the fog lights work correctly too?
no the original bulbs were 9004 style but the halos take H7 bulbs for the lows.and h1 for the high I believe... im talking about the wiring harness the pins (wires) are in the wrong location for the halo replacements until you swap those wires around...for some reason when they made those lights they wired them up to go into a ram with the later 9007 lights (I believe the sports) and they dont distinguish that they are different..the factory in china probably doesnt realize their were two different types of bulbs in the different year rams...post # 20 shows how the halos are wired now (9007) you want them to be wired for 9004 so you gotta swap the blue and black wire....
yes they do make HID upgrade kit someone else here already did it with our exact same lights...and the pics looked great as far as light output

just trust me swap the two wires do one first and unplug the other and try it to test it if you want but I had the exact same issue as you and if you have the same lights as me when both high and low are on both bulbs arent as bright as they should be...only one bulb should be on at a time high or low...they work perfect one you swap them the way they were supposed to be wired in the first place...

edit I just read that thread through that GAV posted....in the second last post someone gives the exact advice I do to swap the black with the blue wires....so the answer is there just took 4 pages to get there...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-29-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: headlight questions...