2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic worries and High Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fast2liter
usally that high mileage stuff is a synthetic blend anyways
I fugured that but wasnt sure if it was just an additive package (yes theres a difference all motor oils have an additive package thats one of the things that makes them different from one another) or actual synthetic oil blend...that why I put (blend?) when mentioning it above...

Old 12-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line with my higher mileage fleet....damned if I do, damned if I don't, huh? JK'ing. I'll look into the syn blends...and anything but fram for the filter.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Run a good synthetic (like Pennzoil Platinum) and a good filter (NAPA Gold or WIX) and if stuff starts to leak, replace those seals. Simple as that.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Canyon Man
Amateur

Actually, I believe synthetics have been around much longer , about mid 60's and if memory serves I think it was Chevron. And I swear by it, not at it. Cheap insurance if you ask me. My brother inlaw did an oil change on my wifes car with mobil 1 and did not tighten the drain plug. She drove 20 miles without it. I started the car and wondered what the hell was going on under the hood. I saw the IDIOT light and went underneath and saw the problem. I put more oil in it and another 80,000 miles

Old 01-10-2010, 04:16 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i boughT my truck with 186k. PO always brought it to dealer for conventional oil change. When i got it, i immidiatly changed to Moil 1 full synthetic...been using t since, have 197,900 miles now and no leaks

Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
I'm only gonna speak on my experience and research. I switch to full synthetic at 140k. So what happened? My rear main seal started to leak like a sieve. SYNTHETIC OIL IS NOT BAD NOR WILL IT CAUSE ANY GIVEN GASKETS/SEALS TO LEAK. What happens is that synthetic oil is so good at wicking and cleaning out your engine, that it exposes bad seals that weren't leaking due to being blocked by sludge and gunk. This won't happen to everyone. Some people have no problem with synthetic, others do. There's only one way to find out.
Bingo. I had a 2002 Cavalier bought new and switched it to Synthetic at 30K miles. All of the BS artists out there would insist the engine had to be broken in with Synthetic. The car ran great and no leaks, ever.

I run my Dodge with Synthetic. Never a problem.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, conventional wisdom is to perform break-in on a new/rebuilt engine with petroleum-based oil. The thinking is that because of synthetic oil's superior lubricity it could interfere with the rings seating and prolong break-in. If a driver starts pushing the vehicle too soon before the rings seat, accelerated wear and/or failure could result.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
jhamilton19
Rookie

you are right. ive heard that from quite a few mechanics. ive been running Amsoil in my truck since i got it from my stepdad. i new it hadnt had an oil change in a long time so i did it asap. i also run it in my 01 cavalier. when i switched from the blended stuff to the amsoil in that car, i noticed a difference right away and it dont leak. i really like Amsoil. i have tried other full synthetics and havent been impressed. i was impressed with Amsoil, so i became a dealer for them and now most of my friends and family run Amsoil too. they seem to like it too. no complaints.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fast2liter
usally that high mileage stuff is a synthetic blend anyways
Depends, if its a full synthetic high mileage it's full syn. If it's a blend it's a blend. Most high mileage oil is conventional oil that has additives to help with higher mileage wear and tear.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:41 AM
halfamil
All Star

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Actually, conventional wisdom is to perform break-in on a new/rebuilt engine with petroleum-based oil. The thinking is that because of synthetic oil's superior lubricity it could interfere with the rings seating and prolong break-in. If a driver starts pushing the vehicle too soon before the rings seat, accelerated wear and/or failure could result.
Also, never use a teflon additive in a break-in on a new/rebuilt engine.Nothing will seat!!! They recommend 12,000 miles before it's use.

Quick Reply: Synthetic worries and High Mileage