2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

couple wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 01:49 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default couple wiring questions

ok so I got a couplee questions I'm hoiping y'all can help me out with.

1: i need a ignition source to tie my e fans into. is there any place under the hood that i can tap into? Maybe like the fuse box or something. its so my fans trip when i turn the truck on i guess.

2: i need another one on the inside i guess. I need it for my wideband. If there is a good place in the fuse box where i tie my fans into I could use that for this as well.

3: I need a place to tie my gauge lights into. I am switching to leds in the dash so not sure if there is some way i can rig into that process or not

I am hoping to not have to cut any stock wires. If i have to i guess i will.

Now a stupid question. does our trucks have a wide open throttle switch? my wideband has a wire for that

Thats all i can think of right now. I might come back with more questions

Old 12-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Download the 2001 1500 service manual. Search for a merry christmas post.

2. Pages 8W-10-1 thru 8W-10-7 are for power distribution center under the hood.

Pins 85 and 86 are for the coil in a relay. 86 is the hot (source), 85 is ground side. Pin 86 for both the blower motor and the wiper relays are switched. The blower is switched for RUN only and the wiper relay is ACC-Run.

I think I tied into the blower motor, but I'm not sure. Knowing my luck I tied into the A/C clutch. note: this is not the same contact (86) that turns the e-fan on when the A/C clutch is activated.

I'll be moving mine to either the blower relay or the wiper relay this weekend. No need to cut any wires, you can use the in-line crimp splice for these. Your only controlling relay coil voltage and not the fan. The fan it's self should be tied to the battery.

For inside brows to page 8W-12-4 to find a switched hot side to tie into. Run an inline fuse to the wideband to since you wouldn't want to add "another device" off an already rated fused circuit. Fuse 16 says it's a spare (in the manual) and should be on in the ACC-Run positions.

Quick Reply: couple wiring questions