2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sputtering ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Relex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering ?

I was doing some things around town today like dropping off my friends spare, getting my tire that a buddy put back on a rim and went to the car wash to wash my truck off for alignment. My truck ran fine up until after I hosed the mud off of the front/front axle so it can get aligned soon.

After I leaving the car wash it started sputtering. It almost seemed like water got in the distributor with the way it sounded when I got gas and the loss of power. At some points when I was stopped it felt like there was shaking.

I wonder if something got wet when I was hosing it off? I only sprayed water on the hood/under the truck and over the grill. Over the summer months I've power washed the whole engine and get some water in the distributor but after reving it, it dries the water out.

I'm at a loss and maybe it will be better tomorrow after it sits? Its only about 25 outside.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe running it would be the best idea. You shure as hell wouldnt want that water freezing anywhere!

I cleaned my engine last year with some Purple Power and water hose and I had a misfire that night in the 2 and 4 cylinders. Turned out that the water had shorted out the spark plug wires. The plug wires were needing replacement anyway. It could be possible that the same thing happened to you. Who knows, maybe some of that water you sprayed through the grille reached the plug wires.

Or you could have gotten some water down your air intake. What kind do you have?

But like I said, since we do not know where water has entered your engine/electrical system, you would not want to take the chance of having that water freeze inside your motor.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Relex
Veteran

After doing some thinking before I went to the car wash I got gas at Sheetz. The pump I was on I guess was about out of gas because when I'd try to pump it would stop itself like it was a full tank. I only pumped $10 worth which isn't even an eighth of a tank. I wonder if I could have got bad fuel?

After talking to my friend he said spraying under you truck like that you hit the exhaust manifold and makes steam that gets in places too. He also suggested letting it run and see what happens.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Relex
Veteran

Ended up going down to A&A where my friend works and scanned my truck. I got a code for my cat since its gutted and a cylinder 4 missfire. My cylinder 4 plug had twice the gap it should have had and they were all had mud around them. I got plugs since those should prob be done as well.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

i had the same problem awhile back...

....except mine was completely random, no water or anything...i had it floored and i was only able to muster 30 mph

i replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil, seemed to fix it, also i deleted the cat but that's b/c it was rattling (and slightly plugged)

Old 01-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Gomer03
Professional

Had the same problem when starting mine....I checked the starter...it was a loose starter ground.

Thanks for the idea about deleting the CAT...the sheild is rattling on mine and has been for a while....it is rather annoying.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

^same here my cats comming out very soon for some true duals when i get my new headers. (after front end work is done and after i get my new Mud Kings) hen exhaust work will be done, then it will be time to hit up Hemifever

also my dads old 96 5.2L 2wd 1500 use to sputter after a rain. turned out that somehow water was gettting to the 02sensor cuz after it had rained we would start it and it would sputter...let it run for 5 mins, and she always came out of it. popped a CEL a couple of times too, each time it was for the pre-cat 02 sensor.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Relex
Veteran

Atleast 4 plugs looked like this, minus the broken part which happened when came out.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
halfamil
All Star

Burn color looks good. Electrode looks a little worn.How many miles on them?What about the other 4 ?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

those look like original plugs....and according to the Haynes spark plug guide you have nothing wrong with them,(as in no overheating, bad guide seals etc.) as stated above thats good color to have.

Quick Reply: Sputtering ?