2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gonna rebuild tranny myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
crankbait
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna rebuild tranny myself

I have looked all over the net and have gotten really confused on tranny rebuilds

I need recommendations for my tranny rebuild heres what I got 2000 1500 4x4 5.9 auto trans. What I do, I haul light equipment and trailers 16' or shorter, twice a year I have to haul my 30' TT aproximately 30 miles to/from the campground.
I am going to put a shift kit which offers what I want Sure Cure kit or a transgo kit, I have also read when I replace my TC I want to stick with close to stock stall, will a master rebuild kit from advance or autozone be sufficient?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 PM
halfamil
All Star

I wouldn't buy from them for tranny parts.I'll ask my tranny guy(Wife's sisters husband)He builds drag racing at's for all the guys around here.He's very picky about parts.He hate's Chinese crap more than most people.He is a Ford guy but, said my truck was amazing how long it's parts last.When he rebuilt mine he used some Mopar parts($$$) not all though.I'll ask him.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

red eagle clutches are the way to go from what i've heard.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get a rebuild kit from PATC.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM
96Ram-VMB

I think that this Kit I found on ebay is a good kit to get.... I may be a little biased about who knows about the internals but the maker of this kit seems to know about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Ram-VMB
I think that this Kit I found on ebay is a good kit to get.... I may be a little biased about who knows about the internals but the maker of this kit seems to know about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR...Q5fAccessories
Well hell, that is a great price for a Mopar re-build.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

just for my own info is a tranny rebuild hard?

i was watchin overhaulin and at SEMA 06 they redid a challenger, and the guy rebuild the tranny blindfolded lol

Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This would look nice under that new tranny and help keep things cool in conjunction with a bigger tranny cooler up front/

Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
crankbait

Well I started tearing apart my truck ran into one small issue so far I broke a bolt for the front DS in the front diff. Figure while I got the ds's off I'll go ahead and replace the u-joints, I am narrowing down my list of parts Im gonna use. Will use OEM master rebuild kit, and a transgo shift kit, still haven't located a TC that I am pleased with. Just a question should I be looking at replacing the electronics in tranny as well? I am going to replace the pump too. might as well go for broke maybe I wont have to do this again I honestly wont keep the truck another 100,000+ miles

Update: Tranny's out finally now just gotta tear it down and find out whats going on in there

Last edited by crankbait; 01-10-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
crankbait

I took the manifold valve off last night and got down to the guts of the tranny, here is what I see so far maybe someone can chime in with their thoughts Now Mind you the fluid and filter were changed late last spring after a flush. That was the fix for a funny noise I had in reverse which was being done under warranty, I was told that the overdrive carrier got replaced as well, but the tranny never came out of the truck and was fixed in a day. The noise was still there and when I protested I was told it was the aftermarket cooler and lines causing the noise. So here I am not even a year later with a bad tranny. any ways back to what I have found so far, I am no expert but the bands look fine and the drums are not scored. the front band was extrememly loose though with not much takeup left on the adjustment screw. The filter looked extremely clogged, the fluid looks burnt and smells burnt and you can see a bunch of brass or copper particles in it, and the magnet has tons of sludge caked to it which I assume is metal.

I have been looking at a PATC rebuild kit that comes with everything I am going to need I think its the 2nd stage viper kit for a little over 700 how will this do with towing? And does anyone know where exactly I can get a manual?

Quick Reply: Gonna rebuild tranny myself