2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Chadlow21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Question

Where is the ABS sensor on my truck? I know where the speed sensor is. But, since only the ABS light is flashing and the break light isn't and the speedo works fine, wouldn't that rule out the speed sensor? Also, I have no idea if I have 2 or 4 wheel ABS. How many sensors are there?

Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

If this is in relation to the superchips thread (can't remember if you or someone else started it). I'd hate to break it to you but the sensor is not your problem. Your gonna have to go to the dealer to get a re-flash so make sure you unprogram your tuner. My buddy had a similar issue with a hypertech where it didn't copy back over all of his information and the abs / brake light were on and the speedo didn't work correctly. Everything worked fine before the tune, and no amount of programming or unprogramming made a difference. Bottom line is something got fudged on the transfer... time to call the dealer for a reflash. That fixed my buddy's problem and never used the tuner again.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 PM
foxea
Rookie

Not sure about the previous response about other threads. If you have 4 wheel abs you will have a computer on the drivers side front fender next to your master brake cylinder. If only 2 wheel Abs it will have the brake lines go directly back to the brakes and has no computer behind the fuse box on the fender. I think a 99 all have 4 wheel ABS. Don"t quote me on that.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Chadlow21
Professional

Thanks foxea,
I went through and checked all connections, I put in a new ABS sensor, set the ECU back to stock, and checked all of the fuses. And it is still flashing. I don't know why the break light isn't flashing, and the speedometer still works fine. Does the code check have to be done at the dealer? Why can't my local shop do it? So, is it your advice to not use the tuner that I just bought, upgrade to a better tuner, or just go back to the death flash?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

abs sensor was pretty easy to change right? my abs light is on, but cuz i fried the wires to abs sensor...dont ask how, i just did

Old 01-17-2010, 09:50 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Chadlow21
Thanks foxea,
I went through and checked all connections, I put in a new ABS sensor, set the ECU back to stock, and checked all of the fuses. And it is still flashing.
I just told you above that it was not your sensor. :/

I don't know why the break light isn't flashing, and the speedometer still works fine. Does the code check have to be done at the dealer? Why can't my local shop do it?
Depends on if your shop has a "good" code reader, but I don't understand why you would take it there, instead of the dealer when I told you a reflash would fix the problem.

So, is it your advice to not use the tuner that I just bought, upgrade to a better tuner, or just go back to the death flash?
For now, back to the death flash.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Chadlow21
Professional

Just thought I would try a few more cheap tricks before I have it reflashed. I guess I am going to have to sell this tuner.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Chadlow21
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
abs sensor was pretty easy to change right? my abs light is on, but cuz i fried the wires to abs sensor...dont ask how, i just did
Yes, it was very easy to change. Just spray the nut down with some WD40, it will be a bit rusty.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Chadlow21
Professional

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I just told you above that it was not your sensor. :/

Depends on if your shop has a "good" code reader, but I don't understand why you would take it there, instead of the dealer when I told you a reflash would fix the problem.

For now, back to the death flash.
1)My symptoms are not the exact same as your buddies truck was. And I'm hard headed.lol

2)Well, I would like to have it scanned at my shop first because I don't trust stealerships to tell me what is really going on. If it was something else that just so happened to go bad, then I will know.

3)I would rather sell the truck than drive it with the death flash. Plain and simple, it has no power.

Last edited by Chadlow21; 01-17-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by foxea
Not sure about the previous response about other threads. If you have 4 wheel abs you will have a computer on the drivers side front fender next to your master brake cylinder. If only 2 wheel Abs it will have the brake lines go directly back to the brakes and has no computer behind the fuse box on the fender. I think a 99 all have 4 wheel ABS. Don"t quote me on that.

i drive a 99 and i do not have 4 wheel abs. only on the front

Quick Reply: ABS Question