2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

8 inch lift springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
surferguy12
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 inch lift springs

found coils for 99 2500 v10 says its a 6in. lift for v10's or cummins but 8in, for 1500 4x4, what would i need to complete the 8in. in my front because im thinkin i would need new shocks of course but wat else? longer pitman arms? and wat would i need in the rear?

thanx

Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont understand how it will give you 8inchs, if it says 6, youll get six... but the things you will need... is godly, new tracbar, control arms ( im going to suggest long arms), and a drop pitmen arm... as for the rear, get new leafs... th stock ones will get weka fast and create sag... i also sugest on the same hand a set of bds shackle flips...

unless you know what yoru doing... just buy a kit and install... dont try building

Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 PM
surferguy12
Rookie

well on the 2500 v10 or cummins it gives it a 6 inch lift but if u put it on a 1500 it gives you 8 because of less weight so that means less compression of the coil which gives you the lift

Old 01-16-2010, 02:53 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gives you stiff *** ride i what i heard... besides... the skyjacker springs are ment for a side... they take care of the dreded dodge lean... trust me.... but thats up to you..

its what i did..
Name:  sittintaller.jpg
Views: 12707
Size:  67.5 KB

Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by surferguy12
found coils for 99 2500 v10 says its a 6in. lift for v10's or cummins but 8in, for 1500 4x4, what would i need to complete the 8in. in my front because im thinkin i would need new shocks of course but wat else? longer pitman arms? and wat would i need in the rear?

thanx

The 6" lift coils for a V10 will lift a half ton at least 8", if not more. I gained just over 3" using the stock V10/Diesel coils on my half ton. And sure, the ride will be much stiffer, but its not unacceptable or anything. I actually like it better then the spongy half tons.

Pitman arms? Theres only one. It connects to the bottom of the steering gear box (what the drag link mounts to). You will need a drop pitman arm, track bar drop bracket (and a nice stout adjustable track bar would be handy), longer control arms (I highly recommend upgrading to a full out long arm kit with 8" of lift), sway bar drop brackets or longer links if you are keeping the sway bar, and possibly longer brake lines. It is also very possible the drive shaft will be at too steep of an angle for proper operation (7-8" is usually the cut off) and you will have to get an indexing ring (twists the transfer case to lower the front output), which will require a custom built cross member for clearance, or you could purchase the one skyjacker produces for there 7" kit.

That pretty much sums the front up anyway. I'm sure I still forgot a few things too.

Judging by your question, I am guessing you don't know a great deal about lifting a truck. In my opinion, if you want that much lift, I highly suggest just going out and purchasing a kit such as the 7" Skyjacker one. It will come with everything you will need to lift it the correct way. It is expensive, but nothing about lifting a truck 7+" is cheap, and it will save you lots of headaches and screw-ups by trying to piece together a lift when you don't know what your shopping for.

Quick Reply: 8 inch lift springs