2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Ram Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM
quackaddict
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His post says he has a 2500 not a 1500 but if I am not mistaken the NV4500 they used in the 2500's with a 360 had smaller shafts in it than the NV4500 they used in the V-10 and Diesels so that may be an issue.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as quackaddict said, i too am almost positive there are smaller parts in the v8 nv4500, but if you wanted to put the 90 engine in there, i think it would be plenty capeable of holding up to it, just as long as the input shaft is the same as the v-10/cummins nv4500,
the 90 engine is non intercooled, so thats a lot of work and parts you wont need, you will need engine mounts (the ones that bolt to the block) off of a 94-02, and the engine wil bolt up to your frame, you will need a bellhousing and clutch assembly to hook up the trans (provided the input shaft is correct), the radiator hoses on the engine will both be on the passenger side, so you would have to set up your hoses, as far as the wiring... there are two ways... the correct way, would be to get a engine harness and pcm off of a 98-98.5 cummins, along with the oil and water senors,(oil and water senors will probably work off of the v8) and everything will work including your gauges, just have to do a little different wiring to the injection pump, but VERY easy to do, the other way to wire, would be to use your stock wiring and pcm in the 98, hook up the crank sensor, altinator wires, oil and water sensors, and a power wire to the injection pump, and hack off all the rest of the wires that arnt being used (a lot of them) this will turn on the check engine light but you can go in to the dash and forcefully remove the bulb

Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgeboy7
no that trans will not work. I am going to tell you what alot of other people are going to say if you want a cummins just sell your truck and buy one

I have to agree. Unless you really like performing custom swaps and have a lot of spare time and money on your hands, I think you will be much better off (and probably money ahead) selling your current truck and buying a cummins equipped truck.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

I have to agree. Unless you really like performing custom swaps and have a lot of spare time and money on your hands, I think you will be much better off (and probably money ahead) selling your current truck and buying a cummins equipped truck.
its really not that bad, and untill you do one your self, you will probably never believe me, but for thoes who havent done one i dont know how you can tell everyone else how big of a pain it is... and for us that no longer have a payment on our trucks and have extra money invested in them, along with the sentimental value, an engine swap is a great idea, and much more so if you can come up with a doner for the right price, and the cummins will probably out last the truck, heck even for mine, putting the cummins in raised the blue book value almost $10,000. and i sold my v-10 engine for more then i paid for the doner truck, and less than 3 days from a driving v-10 to a complete driving cummins,

Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
its really not that bad, and untill you do one your self, you will probably never believe me, but for thoes who havent done one i dont know how you can tell everyone else how big of a pain it is... and for us that no longer have a payment on our trucks and have extra money invested in them, along with the sentimental value, an engine swap is a great idea, and much more so if you can come up with a doner for the right price, and the cummins will probably out last the truck, heck even for mine, putting the cummins in raised the blue book value almost $10,000. and i sold my v-10 engine for more then i paid for the doner truck, and less than 3 days from a driving v-10 to a complete driving cummins,

I do understand the sentimental value of a vehicle, and the lack of having payments, as I bought my truck brand new over 10 years ago. I haven't had a single payment on this thing for over 5 years and the truck really means allot to me. Its just a regular ol' POS dodge to most people, but to me it has lots of sentimental value... it was my very first new vehicle I have ever purchased, and probably my last (new vehicle, that is).

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the swap CANT be done cheap, but you better plan on doing all the work yourself and have access to a cheap parts truck. And having a lot of mechanical knowledge is a must... just cause there is a parts truck there with all the fixin's doesn't make it easy by any means.

If you have a link or something to your buildup that would be sweet . I like looking at that stuff. And to have it done in 3 days is flat out amazing. Great job.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

wow, i just reread that i sounded like a giant a-hole, sorry that wasnt my intent at all, i wish i had done a write up on it but i did it before i became a fourm addict but it was really simple, everything litteraly bolts/plugs in, yes it is a little more difficult to convert a 1/2 ton over, but that is just trans/t-case,... and axles if you want to work it, 1/2 axles will even hold up quite well as long as you dont pull, or be extremely abusive with it

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
wow, i just reread that i sounded like a giant a-hole, sorry that wasnt my intent at all...

Oh hell man, no harm done at all. You made a valid point. Your still cool in my book

Old 01-21-2010, 07:32 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So is this guy going to do the swap, or is this thread going to add to the other thousands of Cummins and Hemi swap question threads that never happened? This forum is sad sometimes.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM
codyselcamino
Professional

i didnt realize it was already a 2500, it shouldnt be that bad then. one of my freinds is putting a 7.3 powerstroke in his ranger, so im just saying what he has done so far

Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
rpg005

Well the forum isn't really sad at all. It's really quite helpful. I don't really know why you have to come on here after not making any other comments and jump down my throat simply because I'm curious about how something is done. I'm contemplating the swap but I'm gonna need to save some money to do it.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ram Cummins Swap