2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunk in steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:03 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk in steering

I had my truck in the garage to change a reverse light and clean it out. When I got in to move it I bumped the steering wheel and heard a clunk sound in the front. When I wiggle the steering wheel back and forth I can hear and sorta feel a clunk/pop noise up front with the engine off. Any ideas on what this is? Dark out now and don't feel like crawling around under my truck to night so I will check it out tmrw. Just wanted to know if someone has had this.

Josh

Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a lot of things. Wheel bearings and track bar is where I'd start looking.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bet its your steering damper rubbing up against the wheel alignment clamp. mine has the same noise and thats where mine is coming from. just haven't had time to re adjust things yet lol.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the kunckle for your steering box just shifting, mine does it from time to time, also could be track bar bushings are going out

Quick Reply: Clunk in steering