2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

good spark wires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I usually replace my wires every 3 years anyway and these are due. Haven't had codes or noticable missfires, but in my mind, its time to change 'em.
If Taylor made custom sets I'd consider that.
Oh, yes, by all means, Taylor does make a set for Dodge and, you'll have to call them in order to get the right set pre-made.

But, I called and ordered a set for a buddy and, they are not the new style, low ohm, race wires but, the old style, higher ohm style that they recommend. Their ends are nice too. They make good wires. Not as good as Mags but, many prefer them over MSDs.

CM

Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Oh, yes, by all means, Taylor does make a set for Dodge and, you'll have to call them in order to get the right set pre-made.

But, I called and ordered a set for a buddy and, they are not the new style, low ohm, race wires but, the old style, higher ohm style that they recommend. Their ends are nice too. They make good wires. Not as good as Mags but, many prefer them over MSDs.

CM
I have the pre made set of Taylors for my 360. I bought them off Summit Racing for about $45 a few years ago and I haven't had any problems.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
torp74
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Thanks for the help.
I'm not sure what I'll do yet, but I usually replace my wires every 3 years anyway and these are due. Haven't had codes or noticable missfires, but in my mind, its time to change 'em.
If Taylor made custom sets I'd consider that.
I have the custom high energy wireset from Taylor. They were like $90 shipped. I am really happy with them....HUGE improvement over the Mopar set.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Taylors on my old Ramcharger, and they replaced a very crappy set of Accel wires, which you could NOT pay me to run again.
Again, thanks for the good info.

Edit: Did a quick search and found these on Jegs... will these work?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1

Last edited by dsertdog56; 02-02-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
97ramnj
Captain

ive got taylor cable 10.4 mm spiro pro race wires lol 125 bucks later the best wires ive ever got and my coil hasnt melted the inside of these either haha

Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 97ramnj
ive got taylor cable 10.4 mm spiro pro race wires lol 125 bucks later the best wires ive ever got and my coil hasnt melted the inside of these either haha
LOL, those are for hi compression engines that run hi octane, top fuel, hi heat and lots of HP! Way overkill for what your driving! Could have gone with Magnecors for less and got a much better wire to boot!

A good set of 8MMs are all you really need, even for high output coils, top quality 8MMs will handle the voltage just fine- handles 45KV I believe without issue.

PS: whatever happened with your fuel rails? Never heard back on what the end result / decision was.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
97ramnj
Captain

i had 8.5 mm's and my coil melted the inside of one wire i just figured these look cool, there HUGE, and i cant melt the inside of these lol owell it goes along with my truck big haha and sry about the fuel rails i was in a crazy situation and had no $ i got the injectors cleaned took out the pump and found a tonnnn of dirt in the tank that was clogging them so i cleaned it all out and yeah been good so far knock on wood

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

What brand of wires were you running that melted? What's the voltage output of the ignition system coil- 45KV or, are you running a capacitor setup and increased beyond that?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

cm, you have a part number for the magnecore's ? or did you build them yourself? (universal set)

Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 PM
97ramnj
Captain

i had 8.5 msd's and no i have an msd coil thats making 46k volts and just a 6a box with it i dont know what the problem was with the wires maybe just a bad wire? but now i wont have that problem anymore lol plus the double coated silicone insulated keeps the interference out of the radio haha

Quick Reply: good spark wires?