2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I bought a lemon =(

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
Not true AT ALL.
What the plow voiding his warranty?.... just saying what he told me I dont know why he would lie? or a truck having a ten year or 120,000 mile average life expectancy with a gas v8....even the maint schedule in my manual only goes to 140k I'm not saying you can get double out of that but I'm saying if you average them all together thats about right many to fall apart enough to be retired...or on their way towards getting rebuilt thats also why back then all the extended warranties ended about there....
its also why so many owners sell or dump them right about then...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not dog on the 96s! Both of mine were awesome! The last one I had made it to 245,000 miles! And would have kept going too.. The transmission made it to 230,000; and here in the 120 degree heat no less. I never even knew about the leaking plenums then either.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
yakkier
Banned

IN their mentality yes. if it didnt have a hitch installed at the dealership by their professionals " right " and you wire in a trailer brake or a wiring kit for trailers, it will void the warrenty on your wiring. It shouldnt but it does because if they didnt install it there at the dealer "ANY MODIFICATIONS" will void the warrenty on the area effected. ask any major dealership they will say the same thing.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 PM
yakkier
Banned

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Let's not dog on the 96s! Both of mine were awesome! The last one I had made it to 245,000 miles! And would have kept going too.. The transmission made it to 230,000; and here in the 120 degree heat no less. I never even knew about the leaking plenums then either.
Im not ******* the trucks at all, otherwise i wouldnt be here. Im simply saying that dodge has a problem with their transmissions and any one who knows anything about trucks will tell you that it's dodge's one major downfall, for the durango and ram. the trannys " usually " dont last for the life of the engine or truck.

I love our trucks otherwise i wouldnt put the money into the one i have now, nore my D150 or my moneypit of a durango.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 011500Ram
Aftermarket parts are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
Yes, true. You cannot just walk into a dealer and just because you have a K&N air filter, they cannot void your warranty and deny you service to your alternator. Now, if you had a K&N and the motor blew up, they would void your warranty, because the K&N allowed more dirt into your motor and "blew it up". They cannot void your warranty because you have an aftermarket part, unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused a factory part under the warranty to fail.

Im not ******* the trucks at all, otherwise i wouldnt be here. Im simply saying that dodge has a problem with their transmissions and any one who knows anything about trucks will tell you that it's dodge's one major downfall, for the durango and ram. the trannys " usually " dont last for the life of the engine or truck.
The key is maintnance. Most dealerships do not include transmissions in their services. If I walked into a Dodge dealership today with a 2009 Ram, and asked for a 30,000 mile service (interval that Chrysler uses to maintain their transmissions), most likely, they wouldnt even touch the transmission. Its not the truck's fault, its the owners fault.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 01-25-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Originally Posted by yakkier

I love our trucks otherwise i wouldnt put the money into the one i have now, nore my D150 or my moneypit of a durango.
Hahaha I was joking. Except for the mileage stuff.

Last edited by Ram_Me; 01-25-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
yakkier
Banned

lol k cool just wanted to clear that up there!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Ram_Me
Captain

Yeah I was joking. I don't think it was even because of you. Most of the people on that other page were talking about 96s. So, I felt like joking around a bit.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:19 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that you got a lemon. It's that you bought a Dodge. What can you expect.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why are y'all discussing voiding warranties. any warranty on our trucks expired about 5 or 10 years ago.

back on topic - is that yoke cast iron ? it looks like it, but how is it attached to the axle which is steel ?

the welded pics also look like its not welded solid, are there cracks still in it ?

and the original pics look like its had the tee-total **** beat out of it.

the original question - whats the worst that can happen ? it'll break at 70 mph and the moving parts will beat the **** out of everything. it sort of looks like that already happened. i don't think the wheel can fall off as the bearing has the stub shaft clamped into the knuckle, right (or wrong) ?

Quick Reply: I bought a lemon =(