2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Restore: Engine Treatment, good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

ive been using synthetic for 13K now, as soon as i bought it i switched.

As for the tranny, i checked the fluid, and its still pink, and doesnt smell burnt at all, and i havent lost a drop since the tranny line blew 6 weeks ago. so im not worried about the tranny. and when the line blew, i never drove it, a guy at work saw it blow, and i shut it right down. tranny temp never came on. and i fixed it where she sat

Its hard to explain, i can feel the tranny shift, its just alot better than before. i can feel like a little shift where it drops me in the seat a little.

it just doesnt have as long hesitation when it shift now. put it that way.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

Heres a little run around i did of my truck before i changed the oil with restore. The camera died so i dont have an after, but it shows what i used.

http://www.zshare.net/videoplayer/pl...798219662b852c

Heres what the oil looked like after 3700 miles...very clean

100_3331.MOV - 29.64MB

Last edited by 95RAM360; 01-28-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I've used the engine restore stuff and it didn't do anything. My mechanic(which has 40 years of service) says it's BS, same with lucas oil. If you want real truth and info about things like this talk to an old school mechanic with there own shop. Since they aren't franchised and obligated to sell you stuff, they will be more up front with you than big name places.

Also things like this create a placebo effect. You buy it cause the box lists all the crap that it fixes. You put it in your vehicle and you swear you feel the difference. That isn't you actually feeling or noticing any difference. That's your mind telling you what you where wanting to happen. Engine Restore, lucas oil, slick 50 are all the same, placeboes.

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
how can you contribute it to the restore and not just the fact that you threw synthetic in it? and yeah, you dont wanna not feel your tranny shiftin
I was told you want to feel it shift a little, but not obnoxiously.

Last edited by CappinHoff; 01-28-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i didnt notice a difference at first, then after about 50 miles, i noticed the rpms catch at a lower rpm, the engine has a deeper tone, and it does run better...its not my mind playin tricks on me, i can feel it.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ive used both lucas and restore and lucas thickens the oil a lot causing higher oil psi... restore helped with my vette burning oil..I put it in my ram when I first bought it and it hasnt burned any oil yet after about 1500 miles with 140k on the clock..

Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, Restore does work. You willl see an improvement over time. The problem is how it accomplishes this. Restore has graphite and other heavy metals in it. Not only are they abrasive, they can totally screw up the chemical balance of your engine. This can wreak havoc with your emissions and cause related systems to fail. On a vehicle with cats that needs to be tested for registration every year or two (like here in CA) that could mean a fail at the tailpipe and a failed cat over time. Even if that isn't a concern, Restore is still a band-aid cure for a bigger problem, namely, a worn or wearing out engine. If all you want is to reduce oil consumption on a vehicle you probably will sell soon, Restore can do that. But if you plan on keeping your vehicle a long time and care about it, then address the real problem. Restore won't fix worn valve guides and seals and it could cause filtering problems (look at the can instructions, they tell you to shake vigorously before pouring in because there are a lot of solids at the bottom of the can). Like I said earlier, Restore is well known by used car dealers and people looking to mask issues with a car they want to sell. If a prospective seller told me he used Restore in his vehicle I would pass.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

there was nothing wrong with my truck, i just wanted to see if it helped it with anything. I dont have oil consumption, but a small leak in the rear main seal. (lost 1/2 quart in 3700 miles) As you know im "rebuilding it" which is why im not worried if thing go on it, i have a type of "seperate account" that i have money in in case something should happen to our vehicles.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dunno i first used it in my vette in 2000 and have been putting it in about every other oil change (tried lucas once too) and so far no ill effects over about 30kmiles but I could see what Miami saying having some merit....I also think if you use it once to fill in cylinder wall defects and restore compression and then change the oil again like 500 miles later it can possible do more good than bad? after all if your burning oil synthetic or real that will do damage to your cat / emissions pretty fast too...right?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thing is though people aren't using restore as a "band aide" they're using it like it really does fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Restore: Engine Treatment, good and bad