2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Core charge

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM
raj49
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Core charge

Ok, at Autozone and Murrays/Oriellys, when I go to buy new parts, I return the core at the same time. I was charged tax on the subtotal (New Part) and not the core since it was deducted.

When I went to get a new wiper motor at Pepboys, I took the core in with me, they deducted it in the subtotal but I was still charged tax on it. Is this right? Why is is different at Pepboys?

Old 01-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Flue
Veteran

that depends on your state. One or the other (retailer), by the sounds of it is incorrect. In states like Ohio they DO NOT refund the tax on the core charge.

http://tax.ohio.gov/divisions/commun...s/st199504.stm

I'd wager most states are like this since most (if not all) politicians are pretty steadfast in leaving a tax alone once it's in place.

You'd have to search your states tax codes to find out which place is doing it right. or stop going to PB's.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Va when you buy something that has a core, you are charged tax as if you were buying a product. When you return it, it is treated as a return and tax is credited. I don't see how any state can charge you tax and then not refund it when you bring it back.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
raj49

Originally Posted by sungod
In Va when you buy something that has a core, you are charged tax as if you were buying a product. When you return it, it is treated as a return and tax is credited. I don't see how any state can charge you tax and then not refund it when you bring it back.

Thats exactly right. At Murrays/Oriellys there was a sign (not sure if its still there) that said something along the lines of "we do not refund tax on core charges due to state law". After that, I've always brought in the core when picking up new parts, its deducted from total price, and IM NOT CHARGED TAX. New part price + core price adds up in taxes. Im gonna go back to Pepboys to see whats up.

Quick Reply: Core charge