2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel hub/bearing and tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:57 PM
calgaryman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel hub/bearing and tranny question

Hey everyone!

couple questions,

Has anyone purchased hub/bearings from a company called GForce? They have a online store via ebay, And are less then half the price I can get them locally, even with shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dodge-Ram-1500-94...item27aef45003

I have real bad tire wear on the insides of both front tires. The insides are bald (I can include a pic if that helps). I am going to replace shocks, hubs and ball joints. And then get a wheel alignment of course. Is there anything else that could cause this type of tire wear?

second question. I'm trying to find what tranny I have in my truck (1998 5.9L mag). On the sticker it says DGB, but a search comes up with notta. My Vin is 3B7HF13Z9WG241643. If someone can get me a build sheet that would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance!
Ian

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in a 98 1500, you have a 46RE. older models 94-95 had a 46RH.

honestly every moving part in the front end can cause unusual tire wear, including everthing you mentioned, the track bar, the tie rod ends, linkage, and alignment. look for any play, or any movement that's not directly tied to you turning the steering wheel.

edit - well, that ebay seller seems to have a lot of satisfied customers, and they're selling a lot of bearings. they'll be chinese made and pretty cheap materials, but they might be alright. they're only about a fourth of the cost of a a set of US made timkens which are about $180 each. i think you sort of get what you pay for, so i'm leary of how long they'll last. are your bearings bad ? if so, you could give these a try. BUT - if your stock bearings are NOT bad, then don't replace them with these.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 01-30-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
calgaryman
Rookie

Thanks Doug!

I have a lot of play and some clunking noise in the wheels when I do the ball joint/bearing check. tie rod ends and track bar looks tight. no play when I had my neighbour turn the steering wheel for me. front shocks are also shot.

Your right about the bearings. I to am a little leery on the quality of the parts. but for that price it's worth a shot. hoping someone else on the board has tried them.

I thought I had the 46re, but when i went to the part store to get a new filter and gasket they said i had the 47re. i wonder if it is the same filter and gasket?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:07 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

You have the 46re. A lot of times the part store tries to give the wrong filter for the transmission. I believe the 47re is a different transmisson filter. Autozone is notorious for giving the wrong filter. Also if you plan on keeping your truck for any extended period of time I would recomend getting quality wheel hubs. You will notice a big difference in longevity of the hubs. Also make sure to follow torque specs closely on them. And lastly when installing new hubs be careful not to damage the axel seals.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
calgaryman
Rookie

I decided to buy these hubs after I contacted a couple other e-bay users that bought them. Both users I talked to were very happy with the hubs, and have had no issues so far. I will update everyone with my findings.

Looks like the tranny filter for the 46re and 47re are the same. The FRAM website lists the same part number for both.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM
01sportoffroad
Rookie

Don't buy fram. I'm in school for diesel mechanic and we have had tests done on these filters they are do a poor job of filtering. Especially there oil filters

Quick Reply: Wheel hub/bearing and tranny question