2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4WD and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM
kracker9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD and ABS

We just had this pretty good snow storm blow over Virginia. Being in the Navy, I had to go to work for duty. As I was driving to work, I figured this would be a good time to run the truck through her paces and throw it in 4WD (I bought the truck used, and she has a few issues that I'm working out before I take her wheeling). When I put it in 4WD, I could feel the front tires engage, and they were spinning, but my 4X4 light never came on, instead the ABS light kicks on. I'm kinda in the dark here. Anyone seen this or know something about it and how to fix it? I know I've seen the 4X4 light come on before, so its not wired wrong.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to check out this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-shifting.html

Not sure what caused your ABS light to come on, but I doubt it is related. Oh, and fill out your profile info so we know what truck you have.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
kracker9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure it is related, the ABS light comes on as soon as I shift from 2WD to 4WD, and then goes out as soon as I shift back. I know the 4WD is engaging though, all 4 tires spin in the snow.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I meant that they aren't related in terms of operation. Could be a short in the wiring or gauge cluster causing power to go to the ABS light instead of the 4X light.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It would be funny if unplugging the speed sensor turned on the 4X4 light,
I would probably try this just to see if the wiring is crossed..

It probably wouldn't cause there are alot of things that turn on the ABS light and just the switch off the CAD that does the 4X4.

So nevermind my last statement
I'd unscrew the switch on the CAD and push the button see what happens..