2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 dodge ram 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Kiznar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 dodge ram 5.9L

Hi sorry my 1st post is a problem
I get the code cylander 5 missfire. I owned this truck 2 days so bare with me
changed spark plug cyl 5 wire is in prime condition spark plug looked ok but
replaced anyways. Distributer cap was ugly changed and the spining part called a rotor I think. It has an exaust leak think it's the cat not sure I don't know what
my next step is. It ran perfect when I bought it no check engine light 1 day later 42 aprox miles I noticed the
misfire/sputter then the light came on it was on a cold start about 60f outside
turned it on the next
morning this is before repairS where done on plug/dist/rotor. The light comes on even when it's not missfire I got obd2 and clear code
I noticed but did not recive a code but little bubbles on obd2 include cat htr and o2s please any info will help I spent my saving and not much money
to work with I
live in Cali

Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
jhamilton19
Rookie

wow. i had a little trouble reading that. but i would try doing a full tune up and some good gas just to see if it gets any better.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi and Welcome to DF. Do yourself a favor and use the search feature regarding Plenum.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

yep plenums probably blown, and due to that, it can clog cat, foul 02 sensor, foul plugs, give crappy performance, and crappy mpgs.

Just use the search at the top of this page and you'll find everything you need to know about it.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Kiznar

okay sorry for the last post. I was typing on my phone. code p0305 misfire on cyl 5. i has a ruff idle some times and some times it does not but if your put any throttle into it, it will smooth out and if you nail the throttle it will make the ruff idle go away.. taking it to shop tomorrow endless i can get some leads. Also the check engine light will stay off for awile or can come right back on with in 2 miles.

repairs that did not work
spark pulgs
wires
distributor and rotor

thinking fuel injector but put treatment in fuel tank
also thinking it could be coil but it looks nice.
any ideas i dont want to spend spend for guessing im hoping the shop can give me a good awnser.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to DF.
i keep going back to your first few comments, that it ran fine for 1 day and 42 miles...

have you tried resetting the PCM by disconnecting negative battery cable and turning on the headlights for 30 seconds. this causes the computer to reset to its default settings and forget anything its learned from your driving conditions.

resetting the pcm MIGHT cause it to run better for awhile, and if so - it points to a bad sensor.

the other thought is that you might have something simple, like a #5 plug wire laying on the exhaust manifold, and burned/shorted. its sort of common.

the other thing is that the computer is pretty damn smart, and can use the crank position sensor to determine that cylinder #5 is not putting out like it should. this could be serious, and if nothing simple turns up, you'll want to do a compression test on the cylinders to ensure that you don't have a major malfunction. since it ran good for 1 day and 42 miles, the odds are good that its not a major problem. but - you may have to test for it, so you can rule it out.

edit -
it won't be coil, as that would affect all cylinders.
since it is a dodge, the plenum is probably leaking, but that would leak all the time. if your misfire goes away after pcm reset, you can come back to this....
fuel injector - maybe, but why did it run fine for 1 day.
water in fuel - probably not, it should misfire on all cyl, not just #5

cap, rotor, wires, plugs was a good start. so all that had no effect ?
try pcm reset.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 02-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Kiznar

i know the wire isnt laying on exhaust manifold i switch 7 and 5 wires and still cyl 5 comes back i only cleared code with my obd2 reader but i know it still misfires i can feel it some times and other times it runs great. the motor runs real strong. i paid 4,000 cash for this truck with 154668 miles i got to smog it to put it in my name he had the truck listed at 5,500. california state law is the sellers responsability to get it smoged but i have not brought that to his attention. it passed smog with great emissions in oct 29 2009.
dodge ram 1500 5.9l motor 4x4 extended cab. he might have pressure washed the motor as it was real real clean. im going to do the plenum my self or pay a shop to do it depending on how hard it is to do but i want to get this tooken care of 1st the truck needs tires as well.

so is clearing the pcm the same as obd2 clearing?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM
jhamilton19
Rookie

ITS NOT THAT HARD AT ALL to do the plenum. it just takes time. i actually enjoyed doing mine except for the 15degree weather.

Quick Reply: 97 dodge ram 5.9L